School lunches

Lauren Coupland

Aug 8, 2023, 7:13:08 PM8/8/23
to public....@laschools.net
President Jaurigue and members of the board,

Like many, I was thrilled when the state passed Senate Bill 4  "ensuring all students have access to free and healthy school meals" (source)  But what I have learned about how the program will be implemented in Los Alamos has created concern that it may not work for many students.  Lack of options, and all or nothing plans excludes many students and families, many of whom are already struggling.

I understand the reason for reducing options as Chartwells scales up their capacity for providing lunches.  I was happy to see in the July 31st newsletter that they would provide alternate meals for those with dietary restrictions.  It stated

"If a student has a dietary need (this includes vegan requests), this must be communicated with the school site nurse. The school site will inform our food service partner so they can prepare the requested meal for the student. In addition to our one hot lunch option, the district will offer a sack lunch option as well." (the emphasis is mine.)

However, over the course of the day yesterday, I learned that this was not actually possible.  Alternate meals will only be provided for those with documented allergies, or medical conditions, and there will not be an option to view what those alternate meals are ahead of time.  This will likely lead to a lot of food waste, as students will not be able to make an informed choice on whether they will like the school lunch, or whether they should bring a lunch from home.

Additionally, this leaves out students who have dietary restrictions for other reasons, whether cultural, religious, or personal.  I have heard that there may be an undisclosed vegetarian option, but it will need to be selected for the whole year, and there will not be prior notice of what that meal will be.  While the July 31st Newsletter specifically listed vegan as a request option, it does not appear that vegan or other nonmedical restrictions will be accomodated.  This change has not been well communicated.  Superintendent Guy did send out another email yesterday, with revised instructions, but there was no indication that this was a change from previous communications.  In yesterday's email, it stated
“If your students has allergies or medical restrictions for meals, please contact your school nurse so we can arrange an appropriate meal.  Taking meals is optional and students can still bring a lunch from home.”

The fact that this change from previous communications was not highlighted as new information is frustrating.  We deserve open, effective communication, and that has been lacking.  Students return to school tomorrow, and families should receive clear, concise information as soon as possible.

I would also request again that there be an accessible system created where parents & students can view ingredient information - not just allergen and nutrition information.  Many things that are commonly avoided for religious reasons, such as lard or beef tallow are in various products depending on the brand or recipe.  This is not disclosed in the nutrition information, nor the description, and is not accounted for in the top allergens list.  I understand that creating such a system is cumbersome, however it is necessary in order to make school meals accessible, culturally aware, and inclusive.  I hope this is something that can be looked into for the future, as a district concerned with increasing equity, inclusion, and cultural awareness.

Thank you,
Lauren Coupland

This conversation is locked