On Promises and Expectations

Fran Gelfand

Sep 9, 2020, 2:37:22 PM9/9/20
to Ellen Ben-Naim, Steve Boerigter, m.co...@laschools.net, Dawn Jalbert, c.ber...@laschools.net, public....@laschools.net, Kurt Steinhaus

LAPS School Board Members,

I spoke these words directly to you at last night's meeting, but I respectfully ask that you read them again and recall what it is you wish to contribute to our school district. I realize that these are extraordinary times and you never imagined yourselves carrying this impossible burden on your shoulders, but I urge you to keep sight of your goals and promises, and to use them to frame the difficult decisions you must make.

The last few weeks have made it clear that many of us -- parents, teachers, staff, and students -- have not felt heard by you.  Many emails to the School Board have gone unanswered, public comment emails have been neither read aloud nor published (until today), Board members have not visited our schools, and the official surveys we have responded to have been grossly inadequate.  As a result, we, your constituents, feel that you, our Board Members, are largely inaccessible to us.

In this context, I would like to briefly remind each of you of the words you yourselves used when you were still candidates for the School Board.  Words matter; and your words formed our expectations.

President Ben-Naim, in your candidacy letter (January 13, 2017), you said:

I will advocate for measures that reduce teachers’ stress and foster their success and growth.

Dr. Boerigter, your candidacy letter (January 26, 2017) promised the voters:

I bring a willingness to listen, understand, and act.

I bring leadership and compassion.

Ms. Colgan, in your candidacy letter (August 28, 2019), you told us:

… I believe I can represent different groups in the community and ensure that all have a voice in making educational and administrative decisions.

As a school board member, I will be a conduit for the concerns and interests of teachers, parents, and students.

Ms. Jalbert, speaking to the Kiwanis Club (October 1, 2019), you said:

I would love to be an advocate for teachers.

… I’m amazed constantly at the amazing job my colleagues have done and I would love to advocate for them and for students.

And Ms. Bernstein, you candidacy letter (June 21, 2019) included these promises:

I want to be a voice for all.

I will give teachers a voice when it comes to what happens in the classroom.

… and be a voice for the parents …

I will be a voice for the students themselves.

I will be a voice for innovation in education.

As a School Board member I will support innovation, give teachers a strong voice and make sure we are doing all we can to make learning a top priority for all students no matter what their level. I will have conversations with stakeholders, learning how residents feel and what students need.

Ms. Bernstein's words ... those words were so promising, yet in this unprecedented time Ms. Bernstein has had to recuse herself due to a perceived conflict of interest.

Even though she is not my district's representative, and even if she does not vote on the issues at hand, her voice should be heard in these discussions.  I want to hear her voice.  The voice of teachers.  The voice of parents.  The voice of students.  The voice for innovation.  The voice that promised to make learning a top priority.

On behalf of all the unheard voices, I ask you to take the time for some reflection, as a group, and as individuals, to remind yourselves what you wanted to accomplish from the positions you hold on this School Board, and identify ways in which you can improve communication between the Board and the district’s students, parents, teachers, and staff, so that all our voices are heard loud and clear.

Thank you.

Fran Gelfand

Ben-Naim: Why I’m Running For School Board, Los Alamos Daily Post, January 13, 2017
https://ladailypost.com/ben-naim-why-im-running-for-school-board/

Boerigter: Why I’m Running For LAPS Board, Los Alamos Daily Post, January 26, 2017
https://ladailypost.com/boerigter-why-im-running-for-laps-board/

Melanie Colgan On Candidacy For School Board, Los Alamos Daily Post, August 28, 2019
https://ladailypost.com/melanie-colgan-on-candidacy-for-school-board/

Kiwanis Club Hears From School Board Candidates, Los Alamos Reporter, October 4, 2019
https://losalamosreporter.com/2019/10/04/kiwanis-club-hears-from-school-board-candidates/

Christine Bernstein Running For LAPS School Board, Los Alamos Daily Post, June 21, 2019

https://ladailypost.com/christine-bernstein-running-for-laps-school-board/

This conversation is locked