Planning Time

Matthew Allen

Mar 12, 2021, 12:14:12 PM3/12/21
to School Board Public Comments
Hello!  This is Matt Allen, 4th grade teacher over at Aspen Elementary.  I am excited about the full return to school.  I miss having a (somewhat) regular classroom!  My only comment is this, please allow teachers a morning or two before spring break to help plan for the full reopen.  The April 5th full in-person opening will be very similar to normal starts to school years.  In normal years, teachers have 1.5 weeks without children to plan for the beginning of the year.  Now, we have to plan for full days and full classrooms again while being asked to continue teaching in the current hybrid model.  We can do it no problem, but a little extra planning time to meet with our grade level teams would be immensely helpful and have a positive impact on instruction as we transition on April 5th.

The following is my plan that I ask you to consider:

Please allow teachers to give their students independent learning activities on the mornings of Thursday, March 25th and Friday, March 26th.  Teachers would not teach their students directly on those morning but give them assignments to complete on their own.  Students would still come to school in the afternoon for the normal hybrid schedule.

This gives teachers a few extra hours to meet with their teams to work on schedules and plans for the first few days back while also allowing students to come in the afternoon for in-person instruction.  This way, we give teachers extra planning time and won't lose any instructional days on the calendar.

Thank you for your consideration and have a great weekend.

-Matt Allen
This conversation is locked