Comment for School Board

Taryn Stetter

Aug 27, 2020, 6:21:00 PM8/27/20
to public....@laschools.net
Good afternoon,

I know I am one of many voices that want to be heard tonight, but I feel like my opinion is important. I am a 2nd grade teacher, as well as a parent of two LAPS students. Remote learning honestly has not been horrible for myself or my children, but there are so many important reasons why I think we need to go back to the classroom.

For my own children, my twins (both on IEPs) are starting kindergarten this year, and because a large chunk of my day is spent on my students, they are getting a sub par, backseat, education experience. I would love to devote a good chunk of my time to my children's academics, but reality is that I do just enough of what they need for the day, and then they are on their own as both parents are working. After my kids go to bed at night, I am still up making sure everything is ready to post and set up for the following day.

For my students, they are doing amazing during our meets, but I know many families and students are struggling greatly. I spend many hours a day doing the business side of teaching (tech stuff, planning, grading, recording, responding to emails), and in between, I am meeting with students. Our morning Meet time is the highlight of my day. I somewhat get to do what I am passionate about doing. I get to teach! But I know that when my students leave me, the chaos of parents juggling work/school/childcare weighs on children greatly. I have a handful of students who are slipping behind their peers further and further because they do not get the same support at home as other students may get. I have daily 1:1 meets with my IEP student and my SAT students. I know this is helpful to those students, but I would be able to do so much more if we were in a classroom.

As a whole, I feel like I am torn in the process between teaching my own kids and being a good teacher to my students. I feel guilty because my own kids are not my daily priority. I know our teachers and staff can handle the small groups that hybrid learning would have. I would rather have two days a week with each track of students than remote learning. I need for my own children to get the education and related services that are needed to truly thrive.

Thank you for taking the time to hear my voice.
--
Taryn Stetter
Pinon Elementary, 2nd Grade

 This email has been sent from a verified laschools.net user.