Need to resurvey LAPS parents

Fran Gelfand

Jul 31, 2020, 3:14:47 PM7/31/20
to Kurt Steinhaus, Ellen Ben-Naim, c.ber...@laschools.net, j.b...@laschools.net, Steve Boerigter, Dawn Jalbert, public....@laschools.net, Craig Washnok
Board Members and Dr. Steinhaus,

During the Board Meeting on 7/14 and again last night on 7/30, a Board Member (I don't recall which) stated the need to re-survey families about their hybrid vs online registration choices.  This should have been an actionable item when first suggested on 7/14, and it is even more critical now as the first day of school quickly approaches.

Many families chose the hybrid model under the assumption that in-person instruction would happen only in the absolute best case scenario, with COVID-19 cases in a long-term declining trend and "under control".  A plateau in new cases is not enough for most of us and we will not send our kids to school when it's deemed "maybe just safe enough" only as long as all health and hygiene guidelines and protocols are implemented and every single person is 100% compliant.

Just barely safe enough is not good enough; it's not good enough for students or for staff.

I respectfully request that you do the following as soon as possible:

1. Re-survey parents about their preferences for learning options, with the goals of understanding the criteria for their decisions and re-evaluating staffing needs

2.  Provide clear guidance to families on how to change their enrollment preferences

3.  Commit to the online model for all students at least through the fall semester

Thank you,

Fran Gelfand
Parent of a 4th grader at Chamisa, 6th grader at Chamisa, 8th grader at LAMS

could-should.jpg