Problems your teachers are facing this school year

Erin Cook

Jan 30, 2023, 6:14:14 PM1/30/23
to Katherine Ward, Suzanne Lynne, Jennifer Guy, James Payne, public....@laschools.net, a.jau...@laschools.net, e.sp...@laschools.net, c.ber...@laschools.net, m.co...@laschools.net, s.w...@laschools.net, lahs...@gmail.com
January 30, 2023
Dear Administration and School Board,

I have debated even writing this email, but decided no changes could be made unless all stakeholders are aware of the issues. Teachers are seeing very real and serious issues facing in our district.  Some of your most proficient and talented teachers are considering leaving the professions because of these problems. For many, the only thing keeping them in the classroom is their proximity to retirement. For those of us not near retirement, leaving seems like the best option for our physical and mental health. It’s not the students. We love our kids. It hurts to think that at the end of the year I may not come back to my classroom where I have made lasting connections with my students. These are the main issues that we are facing at Mountain Elementary, but after speaking to many other colleagues, they are experiencing similar concerns and thoughts of abandoning our profession across all 7 schools.

  • More expectations with less staff, time and resources. (MLSS, Special Ed, Data Chats, Meetings, IEPs)
  • No quality time to collaborate with teams, useless grade level meetings (No time to discuss and align across grade levels or schools)
  • Curriculum issues (unclear expectations on fidelity, no clear continuity, little commonality across district, school, or grades)
  • Lack of Transparency (little information from admin on district goals or plans, state mandates, new dossier rules, security)
  • Important jobs not posted when people leave or filled by under qualified and untrained (Tech person at Mountain, Special Education IAs)
  • School morale and staff animosity
  • Lack of qualified staff
  • Lack of training (no one is trained)
  • Lack of clear protocols/rules (rules change randomly, testing rules, food rules, inconsistent consequences)
  • Inefficient rules about POs (set $ but can only buy from overpriced companies, no list of what companies we CAN use)
  • Data collection and then nothing done with it (MLSS, Curriculum, relationship maps, PU, etc)
  • Feeling abandoned and forgotten until testing/problems arise
  • Starting projects and then abandoning them (curriculum maps, relationship maps, safe and civil, Safe spaces, etc)
  • Feeling lack of consistent leadership at school and district level (3 principals and 3 Superintendents in 5 yrs)

I’ve spoken to many colleagues across the district, and we are all at burnout, physically and emotionally.  The first week back to school after winter break many of us were considering other options, but stayed because we love our students and know that what we do makes a difference. I expressed my burnout to my principals and they asked if the problems were fixable, and the truth is that they are, but not at the educator level. These are administration/district problems to be solved.

Feel free to contact me for any follow up information that you may need to address these issues.

Sincerely,

Erin Cook
6th Grade ELA (Instructional Warrior)
Mountain Elementary