Opening School

Sean Smith

Mar 9, 2021, 1:03:32 PM3/9/21
to public....@laschools.net
I feel far more comfortable remaining with our current hybrid model for the remainder of this school year.

It seems ill conceived to take this risk with our children this close to the end of the year, and this close to having enough people vaccinated to reach heard immunity. Here are a few bullet pointed concerns:
1) Children have died from Covid.
2) The long term harm to children who have had Covid is poorly understood.
3) Going to in person will require children who have received a positive test to quarantine and miss instruction.
4) The local test results take days and could lead to greater exposure due to the timing.
5) Vaccinated Teachers are potentially asymptomatic carriers.
6) Going back after spring break without any time to quarantine drastically increases the risk.

My wife and I are deeply concerned that the move to go to in person schooling is not beneficial to our children’s education and recklessly endangers their health when we are so close to having reasonable assurance of safety.

Best wishes as you make your decisions, this has been incredibly difficult for all of you on the board. Just know that whatever decision you make, you are appreciated. Our girls are doing well thanks to the wonderful leadership throughout the school system and the hard work of their teachers in adapting to the unique situation we find ourselves in.

Thank you for your time and for your incredible work,

Sean
This conversation is locked