Dr Delfin's update,

Lauren Coupland

Oct 27, 2022, 8:39:05 PM10/27/22
to Christine Bernstien, Ellen Ben-Naim, Jennifer Guy, Jose Delfin, Melanie Colgan, a.jau...@laschools.net, e.g...@laschools.net, public....@laschools.net, j.d...@laschools.net
President Colgan,
I was very disappointed that you did not allow for comments after Dr Delfin's update.  I am also concerned that it was only on the topic of recent racist events, even though it was only listed in the agenda and packet as “Superintendent Update.” Whether this violates the letter of the Open Meetings Act, it very much violates the spirit.  There was no public notice that this topic was going to be addressed.

I am also concerned that only President Colgan had the opportunity to comment, without offering the other board members or the public an opportunity to comment.

Dr Delfin,
I found your comments to show a deep lack of understanding, and a lack of accountability.  In particular your comment saying that you are focused on students rather than “adult drama.” The LAPS Native American Council has stated that they were not informed or consulted, and that they should have been.  That is not “adult drama.” The Santa Fe Indian School has publicly stated that they should have been informed by the district rather than finding out on social media.  Your dismissal of these very real valid criticisms as “adult drama” shows a lack of respect for the effected populations.  I hope that you can reflect on this and publicly apologize to these groups for your failure to handle this properly, and for your dismissive comments at tonight’s board meetings.
Respectfully,
Lauren Coupland

Julie Dare

Oct 28, 2022, 12:15:39 AM10/28/22
to Lauren Coupland, Christine Bernstien, Ellen Ben-Naim, Jennifer Guy, Jose Delfin, Melanie Colgan, a.jau...@laschools.net, e.g...@laschools.net, public....@laschools.net
Lauren,

Thank you for your comments.

Julie Dare

--
Julie Dare
Liaison for Native American Students and Families

 This email has been sent from a verified laschools.net user.
This conversation is locked