A Positive - Proposed School Start Times

Freer, Jessica Kathryn

Mar 13, 2024, 1:10:18 PMMar 13
to public....@laschools.net, s.w...@laschools.net, l.cou...@laschools.net, a.jau...@laschools.net, m.co...@laschools.net, e.sp...@laschools.net

To who it may concern,

I’d like to take a minute to provide input on the proposed school start time changes. I’m beyond happy to hear that the high school will begin later than it has in the years past. Aside from the many studies proving the benefits of a late start time for high school students, now having high school aged students myself, the mental health of our students is extremely concerning. My hope is that this later start time will help in improving the mental wellbeing among high school students. I was extremely happy to hear the weight put on creating equity for high school students during the last school board meeting. One of my children said to me shortly after the death this school year of high school student Raymon Maldonado  – “mom, so many adults and parents don’t realize that a lot of us are suffering in silence”. Not only is this heartbreaking, but it is extremely concerning. I’m hoping that we can begin to start providing more support for our high school students, and I believe this is a step in the right direction. Thank you for your time, all your efforts, and hard work. It is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jessica Freer-Gurley

This conversation is locked