Annual Hacktoberfest presentation

Jeff Squyres

Aug 10, 2022, 10:04:30 PM8/10/22
to KYOSS Discuss List
The annual Github Hacktoberfest event is coming up!

If you're unfamiliar with Hacktoberfest, the general idea is to promote participation in open source projects during the entire month of October.  The rules change slightly every year, but generally: if you make 4 pull requests to public repos on GitHub.com, you get a free t-shirt and cool stickers.

For the past few years, we've used a KYOSS meeting for a session on Git / Github / Pull Requests / etc. to help people participate in Hacktoberfest.

This year, we have a choice:

  • Have the Git / Github / etc. presentation at the September meeting -- i.e., before Hacktoberfest starts.
    • PRO: people have prep time before Hacktoberfest starts in October.
    • CON: people may forget the content before October.
  • Hack the Git / Github / etc. presentation at the October meeting -- i.e., during Hacktoberfest.
    • PRO: attendees can make pull requests immediately.
    • CON: we're almost halfway through October already.

What do people think -- do you want the Git / Github / etc. presentation in September or October this year?

--
{+} Jeff Squyres

Jeff Squyres

Aug 11, 2022, 8:18:57 PM8/11/22
to KYOSS Discuss List
Just in case you missed the link at the bottom of the original email: Cast your vote here.

Thanks!

--
{+} Jeff Squyres

William Lindley

Aug 12, 2022, 10:03:12 AM8/12/22
to KYOSS general discussion list
If we pick September, perhaps:
  • September: Intro / Refresher on git.  (We did something like this last year.) Three or four smaller presentations, perhaps:
    1. Why version control? You don't have to be a programmer at all! Git is useful for documentation, or almost any project organized around plain text [15 min]
    2. Git the program versus Github (GItlab, Bitbucket, Gittea, et al) [30 min]
      • Setting your configuration
      • Starting a new project
      • Importing/cloning an existing project
    3. The commit process [30 min]
      • Making changes
      • Making a Commit
      • Pushing and pulling / merging
    4. Going forward: Diffs, Merge conflicts, Cherry-picking, etc. [30 min]
    5. Round table: Our experiences with git, and some pitfalls
  • October: Workshop. We break into a few groups.
    • One group might work together for a "group win" (the leader bringing newer folks into the process)
    • Another group might be working on one project
    • Or just hangout and hack on projects or assist others
If folks like that idea, I can do the first 15-minute part of the September mashup.

In any case, I commit to whatever we do in October.

\\/

Liang Yan

Aug 12, 2022, 3:42:45 PM8/12/22
to kyoss-...@kyoss.dev
September vs October: Cast your vote here.

Speaking of the git, I started a libgit2 project recently, which could track the git-fixes/CVE in an upstream repository.
If anyone interested, I can give a short talk about libgit and git itself from a code spective. It should help us to operate git commands better with a little bit bottom stuff.

Regards,
Liang

Jeff Squyres

Aug 14, 2022, 4:27:09 PM8/14/22
to KYOSS Discuss List
That's a good idea: split into both September and October.

The slides that I have presented in the past mostly cover what you mention below, but:

a) they definitely need to be updated for 2022 (e.g., have to wait for 2022 Hacktoberfest logos and whatnot to become available)
b) they could be expanded for some of the things you talk about below

That being said, over the past few years, the people who have attended this Hacktoberfest talk about been 100% Git newbies.  I tried to keep the presentation to be the basics -- I stayed away from merge conflicts, cherry picking, ... etc.  There were typically enough questions and whatnot over what I presented to fill 1+ hour.

So far, I have copied my slides from last year and put big yellow boxes on the pages that need updating for this year.  Do you want to collaborate on this year's slides?  I'll share the Google Slides link with you.

{+} Jeff Squyres

Jeff Squyres

Aug 14, 2022, 4:33:34 PM8/14/22
to KYOSS Discuss List
On Aug 14, 2022, at 4:27 PM, Jeff Squyres <je...@squyres.com> wrote:

That's a good idea: split into both September and October.

I completely forgot to mention the "October" part before hitting "send" on the last email...!  Doh.

I love the idea of presenting in September and then workshopping in October.

If the overall goal here is supporting Hacktoberfest (and I think it should be), we could split into small groups, each with the goal of getting every member of the group to successfully create a pull request that will count towards Hacktoberfest.  Each small group leader can be someone who is familiar enough with git / GitHub to individually help the people in their group.

We would need to loudly pre-announce/advertise that for the October KYOSS meeting, attendees should bring a laptop or other device capable of doing git (or even ssh to a machine that is capable of doing git).

--
{+} Jeff Squyres

William Lindley

Aug 14, 2022, 5:42:22 PM8/14/22
to KYOSS general discussion list, je...@squyres.com
Sounds good.  I can show a bit of how I am using git to compose a 250-page book for publication.

All : do we have one or two other folks who'd like to collab / speak for fifteen minutes or so as part of the git present for September?