Thunderbird

William Lindley

Dec 14, 2023, 11:10:22 AM12/14/23
to KYOSS general discussion list
All: Any interest in a presentation next month on accessing your Thunderbird address book from a program? I'm writing a little bit of code right now to make my holiday card mailing list, as a mail-merge-able data file for printing onto labels with LibreOffice.

\\/

Jeff Squyres

Dec 14, 2023, 11:45:51 AM12/14/23
to KYOSS Discuss List
Love it.  Let's see it!

On Dec 14, 2023, at 11:10 AM, William Lindley <lindley...@gmail.com> wrote:

All: Any interest in a presentation next month on accessing your Thunderbird address book from a program? I'm writing a little bit of code right now to make my holiday card mailing list, as a mail-merge-able data file for printing onto labels with LibreOffice.

\\/

{+} Jeff Squyres

William Lindley

Dec 21, 2023, 4:02:20 PM12/21/23
to KYOSS general discussion list, Jeff Squyres
I do have a working prototype.

Amazingly when you see your accumulated address book as a spreadsheet (or however you'd like it) you quickly discover you've got quite a messy misch-masch of ancient, incomplete, and inconsistent data.  Not unlike trying to use databases from the U.S. Census or any gov't agency.

Will do a little presentation on all the "fun" gotchas and bumps-in-the-road of writing a program to deal with real-world data — along with an address book database and configuration that have migrated from Netscape Communicator circa 1995 to Outlook Express, Outlook, and back to Thunderbird through all its technical reworkings.  The Thunderbird config includes print preferences from printers no-one has seen in a quarter century, for starters!

\\/