Live Audio Stream Trial

Fairbanks Open Radio

Feb 23, 2018, 3:20:42 AM2/23/18
to solid...@kwrk.org

Greetings, Supporters of Fairbanks Open Radio!

In recognition of the widespread demand for our bona fide audio content, we have begun an Internet audio stream trial with Mixlr. The stream mirrors the KWRK-LP 90.9 FM broadcast in Fairbanks and is now accessible 24 hour a day, 7 days a week.

Our intention in sharing our content online is to reach dedicated supporters beyond our humble LPFM broadcast area and to expand our audience. Specifically,

We want this to work for folks who live and work in and around Fairbanks, particularly where the LPFM signal does not reach and Internet speeds are slow.

This will likely require us to hone our streaming service based on demand, so we encourage you to try out the live stream at your earliest convenience and to spread the word. Look for a question poll in the next few days, where we'll invite you to tell us (1) whether you can hear our LPFM broadcast and (2) how the Internet audio stream is working for you.

Our latest broadcast schedule is available and is updated regularly at KWRK.org.

To access the stream, you have several options. We should first note that because we run ad blocking plugins (e.g., uBlock) on our web browsers and thus are ignorant of content, we don’t endorse any advertisements imposed by any of these services.

1.    Visit KWRK.org, click the shortcut or scroll down to “Live Audio Stream”, then click the play button. This method will work as long as we have a live audio stream, although the player’s appearance may change.

2.    Using the media player of your choice, stream KWRK-LP directly from https://edge.mixlr.com/channel/qgemi. A variety of open source web browsers (e.g., Firefox) and media decoders (e.g., VLC) can play this link natively.

3.    Visit us on Mixlr. Broadcast plays automatically. Adjust the volume in the left margin.

4.    Visit us on TuneIn.

Whether or not we stick with Mixlr, the audio stream will be accessible via KWRK.org and TuneIn.com. Should we choose a different stream provider in the future, the Mixlr links will cease to function and will be replaced, at which point we will notify you of the change through the Fairbanks Open Radio Solidarity Network.

Regardless how the live stream pans out, our future aspirations include acquiring an FM translator to reach beyond the hills around Fairbanks using the irreplaceably reliable, accessible technology that is radio and to assist other Interior communities in creating their own broadcasts. Using the features available to us through this google group, we plan to continue soliciting both your feedback to help us determine priorities and your support to help us sustain our operations.

We hold meetings and workshops on Wednesday afternoons at 5:30 at our studio office. We encourage you to offer your general feedback or questions with a voice message at +1 907 374 0577 or with an email to in...@kwrk.org.

Fairbanks Open Radio is a tax exempt, 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. You can make financial contributions through paypal or by contacting us directly at:

Fairbanks Open Radio
3535 College Road, Suite 203
Fairbanks, AK 99709
USA

Otherwise, we have a couple of paypal links and plenty of other information at KWRK.org.

Solidarity!

Chris Friar
Secretary
Fairbanks Open Radio