Remembering Carolyn Van Slyck

Jeremy Rickard

May 1, 2023, 7:15:01 PM5/1/23
to CNCF TOC, steering, le...@kubernetes.io

I am deeply saddened to share that Carolyn Van Slyck was involved in a fatal car accident and passed away on Thursday, April 27th.

Carolyn cared deeply about building up others and growing vibrant and inclusive communities. She was a kind person, and always generous with her time and knowledge. She will be greatly missed.

Carolyn most recently served as a tech lead for TAG Contributor Strategy[1] and was a winner of the 2021 Chop Wood and Carry Water Award[2], as well as the 2022 Top Contributor Award[3]. Carolyn also helped to bootstrap the Kubernetes Code of Conduct Committee. Her dedication to help communities and their maintainers thrive was unmatched.

Carolyn touched so many people in her time with us. We have started a memorial page[4] to gather thoughts and memories to remember her. Please share your thoughts and memories as well.

Her family is making arrangements and processing their loss. We will share more details when they are available.

[1]https://github.com/cncf/tag-contributor-strategy#tech-leads

[2]https://github.com/cncf/awards#chop-wood-carry-water-1

[3]https://github.com/cncf/awards#top-committer

[4]https://github.com/cncf/memorials/blob/main/carolyn-van-slyck.md

Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr

May 1, 2023, 7:19:12 PM5/1/23
to Jeremy Rickard, CNCF TOC, steering, le...@kubernetes.io
That is really sad news to read. 😢
I never met Carolyn in person but I spoke via Slack and she was always very kind and willing to help everyone.

Josh Berkus

May 1, 2023, 7:27:56 PM5/1/23
On 5/1/23 16:14, Jeremy Rickard wrote:

> Carolyn most recently served as a tech lead for TAG Contributor
> Strategy[1] and was a winner of the 2021 Chop Wood and Carry Water
> Award[2], as well as the 2022 Top Contributor Award[3]. Carolyn also
> helped to bootstrap the Kubernetes Code of Conduct Committee. Her
> dedication to help communities and their maintainers thrive was unmatched.

We are really going to miss her, like anything.

Carolyn was the welcoming face in so many communities; not just CNCF and
Porter and Kubernetes, but Golang and others as well. Carolyn helped
build TAG-CS, creating both Contributor Growth WG and the Contributor
Infrastructure Project. Her technical contributions were large, but her
inspirational contributions were even bigger.

--
-- Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community Architect

Benjamin Elder

May 1, 2023, 7:28:48 PM5/1/23
to Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Jeremy Rickard, CNCF TOC, steering, le...@kubernetes.io
What awful news :(

I got to meet Carolyn once by chance at the Google offices here, she seemed very kind and I'm sad we didn't get to speak more.

Thank you for starting the memorial page.

Bob Killen

May 1, 2023, 7:38:27 PM5/1/23
to eric...@netapp.com, dev, Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Jeremy Rickard, CNCF TOC, steering, le...@kubernetes.io

I have no words :(
Carolyn was an amazing person. I remember meeting her when SIG Service Catalog was getting off the ground.
She was a wonderful person and will be dearly missed.

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 6:33 PM Han, Eric via lists.cncf.io <eric.han=netap...@lists.cncf.io> wrote:

Sad news and prayers of comfort and support for her family and loved ones. Thank you for sharing Jeremy. Her impact will be missed

From: cncf...@lists.cncf.io <cncf...@lists.cncf.io> on behalf of Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr <cta...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, May 1, 2023 at 4:19 PM
To: Jeremy Rickard <jeremy.r...@gmail.com>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf...@lists.cncf.io>, steering <stee...@kubernetes.io>, le...@kubernetes.io <le...@kubernetes.io>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Remembering Carolyn Van Slyck

NetApp Security WARNING: This is an external email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

_._,_._,_

Links:

View/Reply Online (#7970) | Reply To Sender | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [kille...@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

Jaice Singer DuMars

May 1, 2023, 8:20:52 PM5/1/23
to Bob Killen, eric...@netapp.com, dev, Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Jeremy Rickard, CNCF TOC, steering, le...@kubernetes.io
I don't even know how to process this. Carolyn cared so deeply for all of us.... an incalculable loss

Alexandre Nicastro

May 1, 2023, 8:25:36 PM5/1/23
to Jaice Singer DuMars, Bob Killen, eric...@netapp.com, dev, Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Jeremy Rickard, CNCF TOC, steering, le...@kubernetes.io
I got to know Carolyn from the TAG Contributor Strategy meetings. She was a truly wonderful person who always showed kindness, support, and encouragement to everyone.
Her presence will be greatly missed.
My thoughts and sympathies go out to those close to her during this difficult time.

_._,_._,_

Links:

Han, Eric

May 1, 2023, 8:25:36 PM5/1/23

From: cncf...@lists.cncf.io <cncf...@lists.cncf.io> on behalf of Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr <cta...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, May 1, 2023 at 4:19 PM
To: Jeremy Rickard <jeremy.r...@gmail.com>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf...@lists.cncf.io>, steering <stee...@kubernetes.io>, le...@kubernetes.io <le...@kubernetes.io>

NetApp Security WARNING: This is an external email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

_._,_._,_

Links:

Alena Prokharchyk

May 1, 2023, 9:57:28 PM5/1/23
to Alexandre Nicastro, Jaice Singer DuMars, Bob Killen, eric...@netapp.com, dev, Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Jeremy Rickard, CNCF TOC, steering, le...@kubernetes.io
This is incredibly sad news, and such a big loss for the community :( Carolyn was always so kind and compassionate. My deepest condolences to her family and friends

Alolita Sharma

May 1, 2023, 9:57:29 PM5/1/23
to aprokh...@apple.com, Alexandre Nicastro, Jaice Singer DuMars, Bob Killen, eric...@netapp.com, dev, Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Jeremy Rickard, CNCF TOC, steering, le...@kubernetes.io

Liz Rice

May 5, 2023, 8:00:50 PM5/5/23
to michel....@mia-platform.eu, Alexandre Nicastro, Alolita Sharma, Bob Killen, CNCF TOC, Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Jaice Singer DuMars, Jeremy Rickard, Katie Gamanji, aprokh...@apple.com, dev, eric...@netapp.com, le...@kubernetes.io, steering
Such very sad news, she will be greatly missed. My thoughts and condolences to everyone close to her. Thanks to Jeremy for letting us know and for setting up the memorial page

On Tue, 2 May 2023 at 09:23, Michel Murabito via lists.cncf.io <michel.murabito=mia-pla...@lists.cncf.io> wrote:
In moments like these, sadness fills the hearts of all of us. The news of the passing of a person, even if not known personally or with whom there was no chance to collaborate, reminds us how precious and brief life is. 😢

It is important to reflect on how crucial it is to spend the time at our disposal in the best possible way, seeking to have a positive impact on the world around us. Every gesture, every word, and every action can make a difference in someone's life.

I express my deepest condolences for the loss, and let us strive to honor their memory by giving our best in the time we are granted.

Mich

Il giorno mar 2 mag 2023 alle ore 08:56 Katie Gamanji <gama...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Deeply saddened by these news. A great loss for the community. Condolences to the family and friends

--
Michel Murabito
Developer Advocate

Here you can find our privacy policy for clients and suppliers.
_._,_._,_

Links:

Katie Gamanji

May 5, 2023, 8:00:50 PM5/5/23