[Peribolos Incident] Undesired behaviour due to config mishap.

Madhav Jivrajani

Aug 1, 2023, 3:23:08 PM8/1/23
to dev
Hi all,

Recently we added the ability to manage team repo permissions using Peribolos [1]. As a result of merging this PR, we are seeing undesired behaviour from peribolos largely on 2 fronts:
1. Repos are being deleted from a team.
2. Team members are being deleted from teams.

This is due to a configuration mishap in the process of adding this functionality.
In order to mitigate this, we've stopped peribolos from syncing temporarily [2] and are discussing [3] working towards a full mitigation.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused!

In the meantime, please feel free to reach out on the #github-management slack channel for assistance.

Thank you,
Madhav on behalf of ContribEx.

Priyanka Saggu

Aug 17, 2023, 6:43:06 AM8/17/23
to madha...@gmail.com, dev

Hello all,

The earlier issues experienced after enabling Peribolos for managing team repository permissions have been resolved now. All the mitigation steps are documented in this GitHub issue[1].

If you still notice any more instances of team repositories or members being removed unexpectedly, please let us know on the #github-management slack channel.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Priyanka Saggu
On behalf of ContribEx

[1] https://github.com/kubernetes/org/issues/4365