notice of Kubernetes VMware User Group retirement intention

Steven Wong

Jun 23, 2023, 8:58:20 PM6/23/23
to d...@kubernetes.io, comm...@kubernetes.io, Myles Gray, nospa...@gmail.com, brysons...@gmail.com, j...@twr.io, Tim Pepper

As described in the sig-wg-lifecycle.md document here https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/sig-wg-lifecycle.md#prerequisites-for-ug-retirement I am alerting the community of an intention to disband the Kubernetes VMware User Group.

This disbanding was discussed in the last 3 monthly meetings of the group and in the June during the June meeting it was announced that that would be the last meeting of the group.
I have removed the entry for future recurring meetings from the shared calendar and I believe this caused notice to go on the mailing list to members who enabled emails in their group membership.

The group’s running Agenda Notes document now indicates that the group will be retired and no further meetings will occur https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ujpqj4hhcIBrSCK2qn6J1r--3QyD96rfDjXTZQ7n7Mw/edit#heading=h.ssen2x9x2adb

All past meetings through the final June meeting are represented in the Agenda Notes document and are uploaded to the group’s YouTube playlist.

The document says that community managers will open an issue related to this.
I am expecting that I will be the one submitting a PR in response to the issue to “clean up” the various group related items in the community git repo. (including edit to sigs.yaml, labels.md, OWNERS_ALIASES, liaisons.md, sig-list.md, moving group tree under archive), and any miscellaneous items outlined in the process that are addressable via a git PR. However if this is not the normal process let me know. It seems like the activity related to the recent retirement of sig usability may be a useful model for this but feel free to recommend something else if it might work better. It may be the structure of a user group is such that a WG would be a better model.

Tim Pepper – liaison on K8s steering is aware of this UG retirement and is cc’d, as are UG chairs and leads.

Steven Wong

Steven Wong
co-chair Kubernetes VMware User Group
Staff Engineer, Open Source Community Engagement, VMware
wongs...@vmware.com
Los Angeles, California USA
Mobile: (562) 417-7048

VMware