Kubernetes v1.30 Sneak Peek

Kat Cosgrove

Jan 4, 2024, 1:55:42 PMJan 4
to le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, d...@kubernetes.io, releas...@kubernetes.io
Hey, y'all!

Welcome to the new year! My name is Kat Cosgrove, and I'll be your Release Lead. I am pleased to announce the start of the release cycle for Kubernetes v1.30[0], the first release of 2024! This cycle will have two major changes in the form of the Release Signal subteam replacing the Bug Triage and CI Signal teams, and the introduction of a formal exceptions process for documentation. More detail on these two changes is below.

The release cycle will begin Monday, January 08. We are targeting a release date of Wednesday, April 17. Important milestones and dates [1] to be aware of are as follows:

Start of Release Cycle: Monday, 08 January 2024
Enhancements Freeze: Friday, 09 February 2024
Code Freeze: Wednesday, 06 March 2024
Docs Freeze: Tuesday, 26 March 2024
Release Day: Wednesday, 17th April 2024

I am joined by Frederico Muñoz, Angelos Kolaitis, Sanchita Mishra, and Rodolfo Martínez Vega Release Lead Shadows. We also have with us an incredible group of subteam leads:

Drew Hagen as Docs Lead
Kristin Martin as Comms Lead
Paco Xu as Release Signal Lead
Rashan Smith as Release Notes Lead
Mohammad Reza Saleh as Enhancements Lead

We are lucky to have the inimitable Grace Nguyen as our Emeritus Adviser. [2]

Like all releases, we improve by building on the ideas and lessons learned from previous release cycles. For the Kubernetes v1.30 release cycle, you will notice two major differences: the Release Signal subteam, and an exceptions process for documentation.

Release Signal

The Release Signal subteam combines the responsibilities of the previous CI Signal and Bug Triage teams while seeking to streamline and simplify their responsibilities. We expect this to result in a cleaner and more transparent process for both the release team and the community.

Docs Freeze

Documentation is a vitally important part of any open source project. Documentation is also a non-negotiable requirement for any enhancement that makes a user-facing change to be included in a Kubernetes release. To make this clear, and to ease the burden on both SIG Docs and the Release Docs subteam, we will now be enforcing the same exceptions process utilized by the Enhancements subteam for Enhancements Freeze and Code Freeze. The previous PR Ready for Review deadline has been replaced with a Docs Freeze[3] phase.

Keep an eye out for future comms about this release, and don't hesitate to reach out in the #sig-release[4] channel if you have questions!

XOXO,
Kat Cosgrove, on behalf of the Kubernetes v1.30 Release Team

[0]: kubernetes-release-cadence
[1]: sig-release/releases/release-1.30
[2]: sig-release/releases/release-1.30/release-team.md