[ANNOUNCEMENT] Changes to the Release Opt-in process

Leonard Pahlke

Sep 6, 2022, 11:04:51 AM9/6/22
to dev

Hello Kubernetes Community!

We are in the first week of the 1.26 release cycle. We listened to your feedback and would like to announce a change regarding the enhancements process.

Starting this release (v1.26), we will replace the enhancements Google Sheet with an automated Github Project Board [1]The shift away from the spreadsheet has been discussed for quite some time, and now we finally take the leap! This process change is a significant step forward in bringing automated tooling to more areas of the release process.

Unless you are a SIG lead, this change will not affect your workflow. KEP authors will continue to opt into the release via their SIG leads.

As a SIG lead, the process to opt an enhancement into the release is as follows::

  1. On your respective KEP, ensure that the existing labels (especially stage, SIG) are correct since this will be used to populate data.

  2. Apply the label “lead-opted-in” on the KEP issue to opt-in.

  3. That’s it! We run the script periodically to add labeled KEPs to the board, so be sure to check that your KEPs are on the Github Project Board.

We hope that using the GitHub Project Board will lead to better interaction with enhancements in the future. Nevertheless, we understand that changes might be confusing. If you have feedback or questions, please reach out to release-team...@kubernetes.io or on Slack at #release-enhancements [2], and we’d be happy to help.

Thank you!

Leonard Pahlke,

On behalf of the Kubernetes 1.26 Release Team

[1] 1.26 Enhancements tracking board: http://bit.ly/k8s126-enhancements

[2] release-enhancements: https://kubernetes.slack.com/archives/C02BY55KV7E