"help wanted" and "good first issue" issues will no longer be auto-closed

Benjamin Elder

Nov 15, 2022, 1:59:10 PM11/15/22
to dev
Hello Kubernetes contributors!

A quick update on issue auto-closure: The issue triage robot will no longer apply "lifecycle/foo" labels to, or auto-close, issues labeled with "help wanted" or "good first issue", to avoid closing these issues as inactive when no one has taken them up yet.

I'll be looking into removing these labels from issues that were already labeled, however this should be purely cosmetic as all stages of the lifecycle bot should now completely ignore issues with "help wanted" or "good first issue".

If you wish to go ahead and remove lifecycle labels from already labeled issues you can do so with a comment like "/remove-lifecycle rotten", where rotten matches a `lifecycle/rotten` label on the issue.

I encourage everyone to file and label this type of issue, which you can label with "/help" or "/good-first-issue" prow commands.

The Issue and PR are here, for reference:

Thanks,
Ben

Benjamin Elder

Nov 15, 2022, 7:21:31 PM11/15/22
to dev, kubernetes-sig-contribex
Hi all, +kubernetes-sig-contribex

This did not follow https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/sig-contributor-experience/charter.md#cross-cutting-and-externally-facing-processes

There's some follow-ups to make sure that doesn't happen again, in the meantime https://github.com/kubernetes/test-infra/issues/27951 is reopened.

Please comment here or on the issue with any concerns about this change.

Per discussion with SIG Contributor Experience TL: This one time we'll leave it for now and revert if there are any objections before a lazy consensus period completes, by the end of this week (November 18th).

This should have minimal impact on the effects of the bot if we do decide to revert, at most delaying final closure of some issues by a few days.

Apologies for the noise and the procedural misstep, I did not intend to sidestep any required process, and we'll do better here in the future.

- Ben