[ACTION REQUIRED] Update references from k8s.gcr.io to registry.k8s.io by April 3rd

Bob Killen

Feb 16, 2023, 11:44:08 AM2/16/23
to dev, le...@kubernetes.io

Hey there all,

You may have seen some of the blog posts[1] / discussions[2] on the move to registry.k8s.io, there are some actions we need to take to make sure that all our projects are compatible moving forward.

TL;DR:

We introduced the new registry that can federate requests to multiple cloud providers last year towards the end of the 1.25 release[4]. k8s.gcr.io was a custom Google Container Registry (GCR) domain that was set up solely for the Kubernetes project. This has worked for many years, but to reduce our egress costs and spread the load between multiple providers, we deployed registry.k8s.io[6].

This change doesn’t just impact end users, but ourselves as well. We did a “dumb” search for instances of k8s.gcr.io across all our orgs and found 85 repos containing references to the old registry[4]. Some of these are valid references or can be ignored, but we still need folk to check, and if applicable update them.

If you have questions or concerns, please reply here, reach out in the #sig-k8s-infra channel or send an email to their mailing list.

Thanks!

- Bob

[1] https://kubernetes.io/blog/2023/02/06/k8s-gcr-io-freeze-announcement/

[2] https://groups.google.com/a/kubernetes.io/g/dev/c/kgWu5q6h8fs/m/ANmnNAatAQAJ

[3] https://github.com/kubernetes/k8s.io/issues/4738

[4] https://kubernetes.io/blog/2022/11/28/registry-k8s-io-faster-cheaper-ga/

[5] https://cloud.google.com/container-registry

[6] https://github.com/kubernetes/registry.k8s.io

Davanum Srinivas

Feb 27, 2023, 3:40:03 PM2/27/23
to Bob Killen, dev, le...@kubernetes.io
Folks,

To help you with this task, we have a plugin that enumerates the images running on your cluster using a krew plugin: community-images [1]

You can install and run this plugin using krew:
kubectl krew install community-images
kubectl community-images

or if you are not using krew you can install the binary directly and run it:
$GOPATH/bincommunity_images

The output will look like this below:
image.png

Please read the notes carefully and open up any issues running the tool here [1]

Your task would be to fix the ones marked in red ❌ mark by either using your own registry or using registry.k8s.io.

Happy Hunting!

thanks,
Dims

[1] https://github.com/dims/community-images