Announcing monitoring dashboards for the k8s-infra-prow-build cluster

Marko Mudrinić

Mar 1, 2024, 2:25:39 PMMar 1
to d...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-k8s-infra

Dear Kubernetes folks,

We’re happy to announce that the monitoring dashboards for the k8s-infra-prow-build cluster (aka the community GKE Prow build cluster) are now LIVE [1].

These monitoring dashboards have the same functionalities as the monitoring dashboards for eks-prow-build-cluster [2]. You can use these dashboards to monitor how many resources (CPU and memory) are being consumed by your CI (Prow) jobs running in the k8s-infra-prow-build cluster.

You can access concrete dashboards by clicking on the hamburger icon, choosing Dashboards, and then choosing the Kubernetes folder. You can find four dashboards: Builds, Jobs, Organisations, Repositories. All four dashboards provide information about the resource consumption, just at a different granularity.

We hope that these dashboards will provide an opportunity for the community to properly tune and optimize resource consumption for their CI jobs. This is a very important task because requesting more resources than actually used leads to significantly increased cloud costs.

We’ll have a 90 minute workshop session dedicated to optimizing and fine tuning resource consumption at the Kubernetes Contributor Summit EU 2024 [3], where we’ll share more details about this and give you a chance to fix some of the jobs on-site! You can find more information about this session at the summit’s Sched page [4].

On a final note, these dashboards provide information only for jobs running in the k8s-infra-prow-build cluster itself. The information about jobs running in the trusted cluster (k8s-infra-prow-build-trusted) is not available at the moment.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us in #sig-k8s-infra Slack channel [5].

Kind regards,

Marko Mudrinić

on behalf of SIG K8s Infra

[1]: https://monitoring-gke.prow.k8s.io/?orgId=1