ACTION REQUIRED for Ginkgo V2 migration

Dave Chen

Jul 12, 2022, 10:31:04 PM7/12/22
to d...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

k/k repo merged Ginkgo V2 pr recently, https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/109111, we need that because Ginkgo v1 is deprecated, all the new features, enhancement will base on the Ginkgo v2 only.

This is a breaking change, and needs each sig project's attention on the actions that are required for the smooth migration, primarily, there are two action items,

- Default timeout has been reduced from 24 hours to 1 hours.
The impact is that if your test needs more time than 1 hours and you haven't set the timeout for the Ginkgo explicitly, Ginkgo will abort earlier than before. We have set the timeout to 24 hours for backward compatibility purposes in k/k, but if your sig hasn't set it before, you might need the change as well.
Here is an example you can follow - https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/kubetest2/pull/200

- Ginkgo V2 doesn't accept go test's `-parallel` flags to parallelize Ginkgo specs
If you pass an option like "--test.parallel=30" to Ginkgo, it will complain and fail your test cases. We achieve the parallel execution by setting the `GINKGO_PARALLEL_NODES` environment and setting it with "--nodes" options in k/k.  If your sig has the similar cases, please stop using the "--test.parallel" option accordingly.

Here is an example you can follow -  https://github.com/kubernetes/test-infra/pull/26784

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by.

Dave Chen
Regards.