Please drive traffic to registry.k8s.io (instead of k8s.gcr.io)

Davanum Srinivas

Apr 20, 2022, 10:54:28 AMApr 20
to d...@kubernetes.io
Hi Folks,

Context: As a way to reduce costs for our GCR repositories, we have embarked on a project at sig-k8s-infra to spread the load/cost across cloud providers, we are starting with AWS. Please see [1] and [2] for more info.

Ask: If you are setting up new clusters or in charge of CI jobs for your organization, could you please help drive traffic to registry.k8s.io? For example kubeadm has a `--image-repository` [3]. So essentially wherever you see "k8s.gcr.io" that can be "registry.k8s.io" instead.

Why: we want to see how our new OCI proxy holds up under load [4]

Thanks,
Dims

Owen Tuz

Apr 20, 2022, 11:23:12 AMApr 20
to dav...@gmail.com, d...@kubernetes.io
Hi Dims,

Thanks for this - it looks like a great initiative and I'm really pleased to see it :)

Do you have a view on whether we should start to migrate public resources (such as Helm charts or tools that reference images on k8s.gcr.io) yet?

Or are we treating this as purely a load test at this stage - ie, please opt-in your own resources if you can, but on the understanding that it's under development?

Thanks,

Owen

Davanum Srinivas

Apr 20, 2022, 11:26:41 AMApr 20
to Owen Tuz, d...@kubernetes.io
Owen,

the latter right now. "purely a load test at this stage - ie, please opt-in your own resources if you can, but on the understanding that it's under development"

thanks,
Dims

Lars Ekman

Apr 21, 2022, 3:24:29 AMApr 21
to dev, dav...@gmail.com, d...@kubernetes.io, owe...@gmail.com
Hi,

I get a problem with coredns using this;

kubeadm > docker pull registry.k8s.io/coredns:v1.8.6
Error response from daemon: manifest for registry.k8s.io/coredns:v1.8.6 not found: manifest unknown: Failed to fetch "v1.8.6" from request "/v2/coredns/manifests/v1.8.6".

This is for K8s v1.24.0-rc.0

Best Regards,
Lars Ekman

Davanum Srinivas

Apr 21, 2022, 6:54:05 AMApr 21
to Lars Ekman, d...@kubernetes.io, owe...@gmail.com
Lars,

good rule of thumb, if it is NOT in k8s.gcr.io, the registry.k8s.io won't work. So if you check a docker pull against k8s.gcr.io you can see that it is missing there as well.

$ docker pull k8s.gcr.io/coredns:v1.8.6
Error response from daemon: manifest for k8s.gcr.io/coredns:v1.8.6 not found: manifest unknown: Failed to fetch "v1.8.6" from request "/v2/coredns/manifests/v1.8.6".

thanks,
Dims

Lars Ekman

Apr 21, 2022, 7:27:17 AMApr 21