[ANNOUNCEMENT] Kubernetes 1.24 Release Now Expected 3rd May

James Laverack

Apr 12, 2022, 6:21:48 PM4/12/22
to d...@kubernetes.io, le...@kubernetes.io, release-team

Hi Kube Community,

After a period of discussion, the Release Team has decided to delay the scheduled Kubernetes 1.24 release day to Tuesday 3rd May 2022.  This is a delay of two weeks from the original scheduled release day of Tuesday 19th April 2022.

This is the result of a release-blocking bug [1]. That bug will be fixed in the newest Golang minor release, Go 1.18.1, which is expected later today [2]. Due to a delay in the Go release [3] we’ve taken the step to extend the scheduled Kubernetes release date by two weeks to allow sufficient time for testing and stabilisation.

Our updated schedule is now:

  • 1.24.0-rc.0 on Tuesday 19th April.

  • 1.24.0-rc.1 on Tuesday 26th April.

  • 1.24.0 official release on Tuesday 3rd May.

Other deadlines are unaffected. In general we won’t consider the delay when considering exception requests, as we continue to aim for stability as we approach the release.

You can see more details in our GitHub Discussion on the topic [4]. If you have any general comments or concerns, please do speak to us in #sig-release on Slack [5].

Thanks,

James Laverack

Kubernetes 1.24 Release Team Lead

On behalf of the Release Team