[ANNOUNCE] [LXE] New release 0.4.1

Oliver Schad

Jun 11, 2022, 4:41:44 AM6/11/22
to dev

Hi everybody,

we're happy to announce LXE v0.4.1 - a CRI implementation[0] for LXD -
to run LXD as a container runtime for Kubernetes.

https://github.com/automaticserver/lxe/releases/tag/v0.4.1

It's able to run actual Kubernetes releases against LXD 5.0, but should
be backward compatible to LXD 4.0.

It gives us freedom to get a rich API with RBAC with Kubernetes[1],
Config Maps[2], Load Balancing (Kubernetes Services [3]) and more.

We use it as a foundation to extend Kubernetes so it finally understands
complex service definitions, which renders to containers, load
balancers and config maps with a stateful provisioning for complex
distributed services where distributed ordering of provision steps is
important.

Therefor we implemented our own operator pattern[4], to get an
scriptable operator, instead of a programmed operator.

So together with LXD and Kubernetes and our own extensions we get a
full Platform as a Service Solution, which handles state quite natural
and is build to stay 24/7 operational without downtimes.

So if you plan to build your own AWS or Google Cloud - you should give
it a try.

[0] https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/architecture/cri/
[1] https://kubernetes.io/docs/reference/access-authn-authz/rbac/
[2] https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/configuration/configmap/