[RFC] Refining the way we communicate deprecations/wide-reaching changes to the project

Stephen Augustus

Dec 2, 2020, 10:56:47 PM12/2/20
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, steering
Hey Kubernetes Community,

tl;dr -- words are hard sometimes and we should take some time and care to assess the way we wield them.

---

As we go through deprecations and infrastructure changes in the project, it might be a worthwhile exercise to assess and refine the way we communicate them.

I can think of a few recent examples that caused some panic and required additional lift from contributors to reframe or contort/extend support to accommodate:
We should consider what it means to turn down a service, piece of functionality, or kubernetes/kubernetes-adjacent system and type of impact it may have for consumers.

Without policing contributors, as maintainers of the project, we also have a responsibility to users to be careful and deliberate with our communications outside of the project, whether it be Twitter, Hacker News, etc., etc.

So how can we improve?

I think depending on the scope of a change, the following SIGs should be involved in crafting comms:
  • SIG Architecture
  • SIG Release
  • SIG Docs
With SIG ContribEx to assist with consistent delivery across our properties.

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts here.

-- Stephen

Benjamin Elder

Dec 2, 2020, 11:47:27 PM12/2/20
to Stephen Augustus, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, steering
I came here to write a terrible version of this comment https://github.com/kubernetes/community/issues/5344#issuecomment-737653617

1000 times this.

Stephen Augustus

Dec 3, 2020, 12:05:07 AM12/3/20
to Benjamin Elder, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, steering
Katharine hits the nail precisely on the head, as usual! :)