Time to wrap up wg-lts

Davanum Srinivas

Sep 9, 2020, 9:59:59 PM9/9/20
to kubernet...@googlegroups.com, stee...@kubernetes.io
Dear folx of wg-lts,

Is there activity? Looks like discussions wrapped up here with the 1 year support for 1.19.

Thanks,
Dims

Stephen Augustus

Sep 9, 2020, 10:02:14 PM9/9/20
to Davanum Srinivas, kubernet...@googlegroups.com, steering, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io
I spoke briefly with Josh about having something of a wrap-up call/presentation to SIG Release in the near future.

How does that sound?

-- Stephen

Nick Young

Sep 10, 2020, 2:47:22 AM9/10/20
to Stephen Augustus, Davanum Srinivas, kubernet...@googlegroups.com, steering, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io
I agree that it's probably time to wrap up, and would be happy to be part of a wrap call/writeup/similar.

I think the only outstanding discussion was about whether changing the release cadence was appropriate, but seems like that's much more directly a job for sig-release for me. The support policy has been written as one year so we can be covered either way.

Nick

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kubernetes-wg-lts" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-wg-lts/CAOqU-DTZLhAzqdr9j6Cq0knkgAFv8pDdk6Fxpu0wOGpeabvvnA%40mail.gmail.com.

Stephen Augustus

Sep 10, 2020, 11:14:53 AM9/10/20
to Nick Young, Davanum Srinivas, kubernet...@googlegroups.com, steering, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io
Yep, discussing release cadence is in-scope for SIG Release, not WG LTS, so you're good to go there.

How's Tuesday, 9/22 for a turndown presentation at the SIG Release meeting?

-- Stephen

Tim Pepper

Sep 10, 2020, 12:34:12 PM9/10/20
to Stephen Augustus, Nick Young, Davanum Srinivas, kubernetes-wg-lts, steering, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io
On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 8:14 AM Stephen Augustus <steph...@agst.us> wrote:
Yep, discussing release cadence is in-scope for SIG Release, not WG LTS, so you're good to go there.

How's Tuesday, 9/22 for a turndown presentation at the SIG Release meeting?

It's time to formally recognize that the WG activity is off the bottom of the list versus available resources and priorities for the folks who'd brought passion to it the past two years.  If there are others who want to engage to drive this discussion area, now's the time to step up.  Tuesday Sept. 22's a fine time to discuss.

The primary reason a WG was driving discussions instead of SIG Release was to give focus organizing and pulling in broader stakeholders beyond SIG Release.   Choices on release cadence and support lifetime impact all corners of the project.  The release cadence was especially contentious with voices proposing opposite (ie: shorter, longer) paths or both at the same time (eg: Tim St. Clair's proposal for very short release cycles with an annual stabilization cycle).  So long as "discussing release cadence" is a proactive and broad pull and consensus building effort across the project membership and consumers, it shouldn't matter if it's WG LTS or SIG Release or SIG Architecture or the Prod Readiness subproject or other driving the discussion and SIG Release can operationalize a community decision outcome of that discussion.

Tim