Proposed Dates for 2020 Election

Josh Berkus

Jul 31, 2020, 5:19:51 PM7/31/20
to steering
Steering,

The Election Officers would like to use the following dates for the 2020
election:

Contribution Year: August 1 2019 to August 1 2020
Voters.md created, Nominations open: August 12
Nominations Close: September 8
Election Begins: September 11
Election Ends: October 6
Announce Results: October 9

One of the goals here is to open nominations *before* Kubecon August, so
that folks can campaign/chat during Kubecon.

Please approve (or change), thanks!

Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community
Red Hat OSPO

Christoph Blecker

Aug 3, 2020, 2:12:44 PM8/3/20
to Josh Berkus, steering
Hi Josh,
We talked about this in today's SC meeting. Two suggestions:
- Is it possible to start the election (send out ballots) on a Tuesday instead of a Friday? This may increase participation as the ballots will hit a cleaner inbox than a Monday or Friday
- Announcing results is typically done at a public SC meeting. Could the announce results date either be moved forward to October 5th, or perhaps we move the public meeting to October 12th?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Christoph

Josh Berkus

Aug 3, 2020, 2:49:52 PM8/3/20
to Christoph Blecker, steering
On 8/3/20 11:12 AM, Christoph Blecker wrote:
> Hi Josh,
> We talked about this in today's SC meeting. Two suggestions:
> - Is it possible to start the election (send out ballots) on a Tuesday
> instead of a Friday? This may increase participation as the ballots will
> hit a cleaner inbox than a Monday or Friday

Maybe start Monday the 14th? It takes hours for CIVS to send out all
the ballots, so most people will receive them Tuesday.

> - Announcing results is typically done at a public SC meeting. Could the
> announce results date either be moved forward to October 5th, or perhaps
> we move the public meeting to October 12th?

October 12th. Because of the various crises, we wanted to give at least
3 weeks for each segment of the election process (vs the 2+ weeks from
prior years).

Josh Berkus

Aug 6, 2020, 7:48:02 PM8/6/20
to Christoph Blecker, steering
Steering,

I hate to be a pest, but if you don't confirm the dates by tommorrow
we'll have to do different dates since we'll miss the call for
nominations on Tuesday.

Aaron Crickenberger

Aug 6, 2020, 8:39:27 PM8/6/20
to Josh Berkus, Christoph Blecker, steering
Calling for a vote with lazy consensus: if there are majority +1's or no objections by tomorrow, your dates sound fine.  I saw no objections privately.

I'm a +1

- aaron

Derek Carr

Aug 6, 2020, 8:41:44 PM8/6/20
to Aaron Crickenberger, Christoph Blecker, Josh Berkus, steering

Davanum Srinivas

Aug 6, 2020, 8:43:18 PM8/6/20
to Derek Carr, Aaron Crickenberger, Christoph Blecker, Josh Berkus, steering

Nikhita Raghunath

Aug 7, 2020, 2:25:18 AM8/7/20
to Josh Berkus, Christoph Blecker, steering
LGTM, with updates to starting the election on Sept 14th and announcing results on Oct 12th.

-- Nikhita

Paris

Aug 7, 2020, 7:17:01 PM8/7/20
to steering, Nikhita Raghunath, cble...@gmail.com, steering, Josh Berkus
+1

Christoph Blecker

Aug 7, 2020, 7:25:01 PM8/7/20
to Paris, steering, Nikhita Raghunath, Josh Berkus
LGTM, with the revised dates as Nikhita mentions.

On Aug 7, 2020, at 16:17, Paris <paris....@gmail.com> wrote:

+1

Aaron Crickenberger

Aug 7, 2020, 7:53:17 PM8/7/20
to steering, paris....@gmail.com, nikhitar...@gmail.com, jbe...@redhat.com
Josh,

That's a supermajority in favor, please move forward with the revised dates you proposed (as mentioned by Nikhita)

- aaron

Lachlan Evenson

Aug 8, 2020, 12:48:09 AM8/8/20
to Aaron Crickenberger, steering, paris....@gmail.com, Nikhita Raghunath, jbe...@redhat.com
+1 for posterity (apologies for late submission). Thanks Josh