Re: RFC: Proposal to convert WG K8s Infra to SIG K8s Infra

Aaron Crickenberger

Aug 10, 2021, 5:52:54 PM8/10/21
to kubernetes-sig-testing, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-wg-k8s-infra, steering, Kubernetes Dev
+steering

Hi Steering!

This proposal has received input from all Stakeholder SIGs and passed its lazy consensus deadline (ref: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/5928)

The PR has received +1's from some Steering members, but it's unclear whether in their capacity as SIG/WG leads or as Steering members.  Additionally, I can't find explicit guidance describing whether a simple or super majority of Steering is required to approve this proposal.

Two requests:
- Can you clarify whether a simple or super majority of Steering is required for SIG formation? For context, the docs for WG formation explicitly mention simple majority (ref: [1]: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/sig-wg-lifecycle.md#prerequisites-for-a-wg)
- Can you help move this forward with explicit +1's as Steering members, or provide explicit guidance on what needs to change to move this forward?  The PR is currently missing LGTM so I think having someone comment with /lgtm would make me feel like Steering has approved of this change.

- aaron

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 2:00 PM Aaron Crickenberger <spi...@google.com> wrote:
Hi all,

After nearly 3 years of operation as a WG, the WG K8s Infra organizers would like to propose that WG K8s Infra become a SIG.  We are looking for lazy consensus from our stakeholder SIGs before seeking formal approval from the Steering Committee.

PR is here: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/5928.  Lazy consensus deadline is one week from today, 2021-08-10 @ 12:00 PST (19:00 UTC)

What would change:
- convert the existing Organizers to Chairs and Tech Leads
  - Chairs: Arnaud Meukam (@ameukam), Davanum Srinivas (@dims)
  - Tech Leads: Aaron Crickenberger (@spiffxp), Tim Hockin (@thockin)
- transfer ownership of kubernetes/k8s.io from SIG Contributor Experience to SIG K8s Infra as its inaugural subproject
- s/wg-k8s-infra/sig-k8s-infra and s/WG/SIG in a bunch of places

What would stay the same:
- our primary focus would remain the successful migration of all Kubernetes project infrastructure from Google (or elsewhere) to the CNCF, such that the project is able to sustainably operate itself
- continued collaboration with SIGs and subprojects that run apps or services in community-owned project infrastructure
- continued consultation with Steering Committee on policy decisions related to how we spend the community's infrastructure budget

The WG organizers put together a proposal doc that explored other alternatives, but concluded this was the best path forward: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cccUzG1qXIt9Zti_ppwuq6Aw9XDbWPxDigkUiKJF6_s/edit

If folks are interested in discussing this in-person, I've added an item to the agenda for tomorrow's WG K8s Infra meeting, at 1pm PT: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/tree/master/wg-k8s-infra#meetings

- aaron

Aaron Crickenberger

Aug 17, 2021, 4:28:24 PM8/17/21
to steering, Aaron Crickenberger, Kubernetes Dev, kubernetes-sig-testing, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-wg-k8s-infra
Hi Steering!

I haven't heard anything from y'all on this in about a week.  What more needs to be done?

- aaron

Christoph Blecker

Aug 17, 2021, 10:49:44 PM8/17/21
to Aaron Crickenberger, steering, Kubernetes Dev, kubernetes-sig-testing, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-wg-k8s-infra
Hey Aaron,
As I mentioned in Slack, I've responded to the PR. Sorry about the delay.

Cheers,
Christoph

Aaron Crickenberger

Sep 1, 2021, 3:07:46 PM9/1/21
to steering, cble...@gmail.com, steering
-other groups

Hi Steering,

I understand you all had some concerns with the ambiguity of keeping the wg-k8s-infra charter untouched when converting to a SIG.  So I’ve updated the charter to be a little more specific without being overly concrete

Before I go soliciting feedback from all stakeholder SIGs as to the content, can I get some quick feedback as to whether this is the level of detail / format you’re looking for?

Please see the updated charter and list of subprojects in: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/5928

- aaron

Aaron Crickenberger

Sep 2, 2021, 5:37:05 PM9/2/21
to Christoph Blecker, steering, Kubernetes Dev, kubernetes-sig-testing, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-wg-k8s-infra
Hey all,

(posting directly from google groups did not hit stakeholder sig lists, so apologies for the extra k-dev spam)

Feedback from Steering is that they wanted to see WG K8s Infra rewrite its charter before they were comfortable calling it a SIG.

We have made our first attempt at rewriting the charter in the same PR: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/5928

We're asking for input, feedback, and help to avoid perfect becoming the enemy of good here.  Please provide feedback by Friday, Sep 10th at noon PT.

- aaron

Aaron Crickenberger

Sep 10, 2021, 2:06:56 PM9/10/21
to Christoph Blecker, steering, Kubernetes Dev, kubernetes-sig-testing, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-wg-k8s-infra
A reminder that we're looking for feedback on https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/5928 by noon PT today.  Next iteration is going to be lazy consensus.

- aaron

Aaron Crickenberger

Sep 15, 2021, 12:47:35 PM9/15/21
to Christoph Blecker, steering, Kubernetes Dev, kubernetes-sig-testing, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-wg-k8s-infra
The proposed SIG K8s Infra charter has been updated based on feedback received.  At this point we would like to ask for lazy consensus to merge.

As we have received no guidance from Steering whether a simple or super majority is required, we'll assume the most conservative interpretation: super-majority of Steering members (4/7), and a +1 from a Chair or Tech Lead of each Stakeholder SIG.

Deadline is Noon PT on Monday of next week, 2021-09-21.

- aaron

Paris Pittman

Sep 15, 2021, 12:59:53 PM9/15/21
to Aaron Crickenberger, Christoph Blecker, steering, Kubernetes Dev, kubernetes-sig-testing, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-wg-k8s-infra
https://github.com/kubernetes/steering/issues/214 -> we’ve documented the issue with simple or super here and working on it

At the time of writing this, the group has 6/7 +1s from Steering.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-dev/CAFto3a33JBpx1VrfvfsBjubo8VYssgx%2B6mhjpaZgWwvedWrxMw%40mail.gmail.com.

Aaron Crickenberger

Sep 20, 2021, 7:00:31 PM9/20/21
to Paris Pittman, Christoph Blecker, steering, Kubernetes Dev, kubernetes-sig-testing, kubernetes-sig-contribex, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-wg-k8s-infra
https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/5928 has merged, thanks everyone for your help in moving this proposal forward!

I've created https://github.com/kubernetes/community/issues/6036 to track all the things that need to get renamed and will make a broader announcement once a few of them have landed.

- aaron