Future k8s.gcr.io redirect to registry.k8s.io

Hippie Hacker

Aug 8, 2022, 4:01:06 PM8/8/22
to dev
TLDR: Sometime, a month or more from now, k8s.gcr.io may proxy or 302 redirect to registry.k8s.io. In most cases no end-user changes are required.

#sig-k8s-infra has been working to reduce the cost of distributing Kubernetes to the world. Our new registry.k8s.io is in production and k8s 1.25 tooling will pull images from there.

However, all prior releases will continue to pull from k8s.gcr.io for many years to come at great cost.

We are working with the Google Container Registry team to possibly 302 redirect or proxy so our cost savings can be fully realised.

Due to the changes in retrieval of Kubernetes, we wanted to notify the community at least 30 days in advance. This change will not occur until October 1st or later (if at all).

There should be no issues unless the 302 redirected urls are inaccessible from your cluster / deployment.

Cheers,
Hippie Hacker on behalf of #sig-k8s-infra

Benjamin Elder

Sep 30, 2022, 1:30:20 PM9/30/22
to Hippie Hacker, dev
FYI folks: This is Actually happening on October 3rd on, incrementally.

Please ping me, ameukam, or thockin if you see any issues, we'll be in contact with the GCR team and monitoring the rollout.

We're also blasting out on twitter, slack, and this was in the 1.25 release notes.

Please make sure folks are aware and know how to let us know if they see a problem that might make us need to revert.

Thanks!