golang 1.18 and NOT generics (for k8s 1.24)

Davanum Srinivas

Mar 23, 2022, 4:59:09 PM3/23/22
to d...@kubernetes.io
Folks,

With [1] and [2] landing, we have enabled golang 1.18 for k8s 1.24 release. We are still working on re-enabling some presubmits for kubernetes/kubernetes, but yes, go1.18 is officially on for 1.24. We have some time to soak in our CI jobs. But please keep an eye on all your test-grid boards to make sure things are still working. Please switch your local development environments to golang 1.18 (obviously duh!).

However one note, Please DO NOT start using generics yet. This will make it very difficult if we had to backout for some reason (god forbid!). Please wait until k8s 1.25 opens up in the master branch after the code freeze (after 1.24 ships).

Thanks,
Dims

Benjamin Elder

Aug 2, 2022, 3:23:40 PM8/2/22
to Davanum Srinivas, dev
FYI all: With SIG Arch we've now merged an initial policy on using generics in Kubernetes / Kubernetes libraries going forward.

Please take a look, provide any further feedback, and consider this in your PRs / PR reviews:
Ben