Your view on normalized paths in gateway

Patrick Karlsson

Jun 4, 2024, 10:14:55 AMJun 4
to KrakenD Community
What is your view on using normalized paths without empty path segments and trailing slashes in the gateway?
From what I have read this should be the default behavior of most servers but can't find any good reading about best practices in a gateway.

I saw that AWS API Gateway and Kong normalizes empty path segments and trailing slashes.

Example:
GET /orders/{order-id} GET /orders/{order-id}/ GET /orders//{order-id}
Should all be treated as /orders/{order-id}

Then also this comes with some concerns regarding DDOS attacks if every request should be normalized from slashes.

What do you think about this?