Making a screenshot/capture accessible

shannon deford

Dec 17, 2014, 12:24:01 PM12/17/14
to accessib...@knowbility.org
I am working on an online Computer Science course for high school students that will be on the Texas Virtual School Network.  I am totally perplexed how I can make a document that includes screenshots/captures accessible.  How do I go about doing the alt-tag or image description that fully explains in words what is shown in the screenshot?  I am attaching an example.  Please note that the document is not accessible as far as spacing and text at this point.  I will go back and fix that.  Thank you for any help you can give me.

Shannon DeFord
Amarillo ISD/ Amarillo Online School

Digital diary example.docx

Sean Loraas

Dec 19, 2014, 1:09:34 PM12/19/14
to accessib...@knowbility.org

You might ask someone who is proficient on a screen reader to explain the same actions from a screen reader user's perspective. No matter how clear your alt text is, a Mouse and vision won't be the way everyone navigates the same series of actions. But, some that rely on alt text do navigate visually. The text that accompanies the images should convey the same actions as the pictures. You should almost be able to follow from text alone,  from images alone, the alternative text can give extra details about where on the screen the actions take place in relation to the other visual objects.

"Click the OK button,  found on the lower right corner of the pop up window."

(Screen reader user's can follow a link to the tutorial for users of screen readers.)

...I like to outsource that kind of task to people in the community, staff or students,  who rely on screen reader technology , and would welcome the opportunity to utilize their expertise to make a project more accessible and get paid for it.
Hope that helps.