Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 18:06:47 +0530
From: Rahul Paknikar <srah...@gmail.com>
To: cia...@posteo.net
Cc: SUMANTO KAR <jeetsum...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: KiCad 4.0.7 does not have a release file error

Dear Marco,

As Sumanto mentioned, we have been using KiCad for the eSim EDA tool for
several years. During these years, we made a library of ~1000 schematics
designed in KiCad's latest version (v4.0.7) at that time. So, to remain
consistent and portable with our circuits library, we continued using KiCad
4 based on this old version.

We take this opportunity to request your suggestions on feasible ways to
port these circuit schematics to KiCad 5 or 6.

--
With regards,
Rahul P.

----- End forwarded message -----

--

Amike,
Marco Ciampa

Jon Evans

未讀,
2022年11月3日 上午11:49:072022/11/3
收件者:dev...@kicad.org、kicad...@groups.io

If those users want to keep using 4.0.7 they need to host it themselves.

-Jon

Steven A. Falco

未讀,
2022年11月3日 中午12:10:212022/11/3
收件者:dev...@kicad.org
On 11/3/22 11:38 AM, Marco Ciampa wrote:
> Can somebody address this request or at least point to the right
> direction of how to solve it in the easiest way?

I suspect the biggest issue would be the libraries, as they have changed over time. For example, I had a design that used:

R_0603_1608Metric_Pad1.05x0.95mm_HandSolder

but that apparently changed (way back in 2020, IIRC) to:

R_0603_1608Metric_Pad0.98x0.95mm_HandSolder.kicad_mod

Jon Evans

未讀,
2022年11月3日 中午12:11:492022/11/3
收件者:dev...@kicad.org
KiCad 6.x should still be able to open these files even if they used old symbols and footprints.  I'm not sure they would need "porting" other than saving in the updated format.  New schematics can be made with new symbols/footprints as desired.

Steven A. Falco

未讀,
2022年11月3日 下午1:40:082022/11/3
收件者:dev...@kicad.org
On 11/3/22 12:11 PM, Jon Evans wrote:
> KiCad 6.x should still be able to open these files even if they used old symbols and footprints.  I'm not sure they would need "porting" other than saving in the updated format.  New schematics can be made with new symbols/footprints as desired.

True, but if you have to modify an old design, when you go to assign footprints to substituted parts, you won't have access to the footprints you had previously used. In at least one case I ran into, the new footprint was larger, even though the part would have fit just fine with the older footprint. I had to grab a copy of the old footprint from an archive to avoid laying out that area of the board again.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but it can add extra work. I guess it really depends on what folks need to do with their old designs.

I keep VMs of older copies of Fedora so I can run older versions of KiCad (and even Eagle on very rare occasions) if needed. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often in my case.

Steve

Jon Evans

未讀,
2022年11月3日 下午2:15:002022/11/3
收件者:dev...@kicad.org
> you won't have access to the footprints you had previously used.

You can make a project-local library and export the old footprints to it if desired.  I think that is a reasonable workflow.

Steven A. Falco

未讀,
2022年11月3日 下午3:05:322022/11/3
收件者:dev...@kicad.org
On 11/3/22 02:14 PM, Jon Evans wrote:
> > you won't have access to the footprints you had previously used.
>
> You can make a project-local library and export the old footprints to it if desired.  I think that is a reasonable workflow.

That works well. Thanks.

Steve

Kevin Cozens

未讀,
2022年11月22日 下午2:47:342022/11/22
收件者:dev...@kicad.org
> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 18:06:47 +0530 > From: Rahul Paknikar
> <srah...@gmail.com>
>
> As Sumanto mentioned, we have been using KiCad for the eSim EDA tool for
> several years. During these years, we made a library of ~1000 schematics
> designed in KiCad's latest version (v4.0.7) at that time.[snip] We take
> this opportunity to request your suggestions on feasible ways to port
> these circuit schematics to KiCad 5 or 6.

First step is make sure you have good backups of the schematics and the part
libraries. I would include having up-to-date printouts so you can easily
refer to them when checking the schematics in the latest version of KiCad.
Don't uninstall the old program when you install the new one.

Be prepared to do some work on the updated schematics. Even for
standard parts some of the schematic symbols changed. In updating one of my
old schematics I found the resistor symbol had changed. It was smaller so
the wires needed to be extended one grid square on each end to reconnect all
the R in my schematics. I have also found the automatic remapping process
hasn't always worked that well. I have several schematics where all the
parts used are all linked to a rescue library because the automatic
remapping process wasn't even able to find basic items like standard R and C
symbols.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/ | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
| that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172 |
#include <disclaimer/favourite> | --Chris Hardwick

回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄
0 則新訊息