Build changes?

Steven A. Falco

Jul 25, 2022, 6:19:39 PM7/25/22
to kicad-developers
I'm having trouble with the KiCad nightlies. Apparently the CMakeModules dir was renamed to cmake, which broke the way the versioning info is found. I fixed that, but there is something else going on, because the /usr/share/doc/kicad dir is not being created, which caused a failure when trying to copy the AUTHORS.txt file into that dir.

I'll have to look at that tomorrow.

Steve

Seth Hillbrand

Jul 25, 2022, 6:36:26 PM7/25/22
to KiCad Developers
Hi Steve-

The build CMakeList.txt was updated recently to reflect some re-organization in the source tree.  To my knowledge, we do not copy the AUTHORS.txt file during the installation process and haven't before.  We were mistakenly copying a number of scripts that were not meant for end users into the `/usr/share/doc/kicad` directory.  That has been fixed now and only the documentation repository creates the directory, not the source code.  If there are distro-specific reasons to have that directory and the AUTHORS.txt file located there, it might make sense to move that action to the rpm build

Sorry for the inconvenience with this change!

-Seth

KiCad Services Corporation Logo
Seth Hillbrand
Lead Developer
+1-530-302-5483
Long Beach, CA
www.kipro-pcb.com    in...@kipro-pcb.com

Steven A. Falco

Jul 25, 2022, 8:06:59 PM7/25/22
to dev...@kicad.org
On 7/25/22 06:35 PM, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
> Hi Steve-
>
> The build CMakeList.txt was updated recently to reflect some re-organization in the source tree.  To my knowledge, we do not copy the AUTHORS.txt file during the installation process and haven't before.  We were mistakenly copying a number of scripts that were not meant for end users into the `/usr/share/doc/kicad` directory.  That has been fixed now and only the documentation repository creates the directory, not the source code.  If there are distro-specific reasons to have that directory and the AUTHORS.txt file located there, it might make sense to move that action to the rpm build
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience with this change!

Ok, thanks for the info. For now I've changed the nightlies to create the directory. It will take a few hours to run, so I'll check it in the morning.

There is not a distro-specific reason for this file - I think it was originally added as a courtesy. The license files are the really important ones, but they go into a separate directory anyway.

Steve