Cloud platform for KiCad

Meth Munindradasa

Oct 16, 2022, 4:50:59 PM10/16/22
to KiCad Developers
Hi everyone,

I was just contemplating about implementing a cloud platform for KiCad. This would be integrated to the main kicad.exe as in, it would sync your projects and would let you easily share them with people.

Are there any efforts to implement such a thing? Is this something that is irrelevant to the goals of KiCad?

Thank You.

Seth Hillbrand

Oct 17, 2022, 11:37:00 AM10/17/22
to dev...@kicad.org
Hi Meth-

There are no current efforts to implement a cloud-sync service.

Were such a feature to be offered inside KiCad, I imagine that it would be backed by git or similar VCS and allow storage to an arbitrary endpoint.  See https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/10441

There are a number of steps before building a feature into KiCad.  The first and largest step would be to develop a document outlining the scope of the proposed feature as well as the proposed implementation.  This then can be used for discussion to determine the best way to accomplish this task.

At the moment, KiCad is in feature freeze for version 7, so any such feature would necessarily be version 8 or later.  But that would not stop the planning and development.

Regards,
Seth

KiCad Services Corporation Logo
Seth Hillbrand
Lead Developer
+1-530-302-5483
Long Beach, CA
www.kipro-pcb.com    in...@kipro-pcb.com

Dayong Wang

Oct 20, 2022, 1:53:18 AM10/20/22
to dev...@kicad.org
KiCad project uses text format so it's easy to manage with git.  I think it's better if integrated.

Meth Munindradasa <meth...@gmail.com>:

Ormund Williams

Oct 31, 2022, 11:32:57 AM10/31/22
to dev...@kicad.org
On Mon, 2022-10-17 at 08:36 -0700, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
> Hi Meth-
>
> There are no current efforts to implement a cloud-sync service.
>
> Were such a feature to be offered inside KiCad, I imagine that it
> would be backed by git or similar VCS and allow storage to an
> arbitrary endpoint.  See
> https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/10441
>
> There are a number of steps before building a feature into KiCad.
> The first and largest step would be to develop a document outlining
> the scope of the proposed feature as well as the proposed
> implementation.  This then can be used for discussion to determine
> the best way to accomplish this task.

Is there an archive of these design documents?

--
Ormund

Seth Hillbrand

Oct 31, 2022, 11:53:46 AM10/31/22
to dev...@kicad.org

Ormund Williams

Oct 31, 2022, 12:39:10 PM10/31/22
to dev...@kicad.org
Do these ever get merged into an over-all specification document for
KiCad?

__
Ormund

Seth Hillbrand

Oct 31, 2022, 12:41:50 PM10/31/22
to dev...@kicad.org
No.  And the specification changes over time as we fix issues and revise the system to meet user needs.  The document stands as a starting point for discussion.

Seth