Merge request and build jobs

Lu Lu

Aug 11, 2022, 2:02:55 PM8/11/22
to dev...@kicad.org
Good evening,

I'm confused with the build jobs when sending a MR: for a few days, the build job takes more than three hours on gitlab, sending back an error.

On my old computer, Debian 11 fitted, building Kicad doesn't take so much time.

What should I do, on the forked repo for example, to solve this issue.

Another thing, Mirroring kicad project doesn't work anymore either...

Thanks for your advices.

Fabrice.

Seth Hillbrand

Aug 12, 2022, 9:19:32 AM8/12/22
to KiCad Developers
Hi Fabrice-

Building KiCad on GitLab's runners is very slow.  We used to be right on the edge of 3 hours and we have recently exceeded that time as we add new features.  3 hours is the maximum time for a single job on GitLab.

An enterprising developer could adjust the .gitlab-ci.yml file to build parts of KiCad in different jobs and share the artifacts with the next jobs.  For example, we might build the `common` target first and then build the subapplications.  This would help to override the 3 hour limit.

I don't know what it means to say that "Mirroring kicad project doesn't work".  Mirroring is a read-only process and isn't really about KiCad.  Unless you mean that forking doesn't work?  Either way, you might be able to get some help if you add some more details.

Best,
Seth

KiCad Services Corporation Logo
Seth Hillbrand
Lead Developer
+1-530-302-5483
Long Beach, CA
www.kipro-pcb.com    in...@kipro-pcb.com

Lu Lu

Aug 12, 2022, 10:08:33 AM8/12/22
to KiCad Developers
Hi Seth,

thank you for your answer. I will test.

About mirroring, indeed, it isn't about kicad, but is a feature offered by Gitlab: once you have forked the project, your repo can be kept up to date (mainly master branch) with the original project, in an automatic way. With this feature, any merged code to kicad master branch is pushed to our own forked kicad repo.

Best,
Fabrice

Aug 27, 2022, 5:02:41 PM8/27/22
to KiCad Developers
Hi,

I've been trying to solve this issue for several days.
I found out adjusting .gitlab-ci files is not enough. I've tried to play with CMAKE files, building common artifacts and trying to use them as libraries for the other sub applications. But CMake never looks at the good place.
I must be misunderstanding something and I don't feel CMake skilled enough to write new CMake files.

Sorry.

Fabrice