New to KiCAD dev, how can I check symbols in GDB, and check wxLog?

Y. HB (sprhawk)

Mar 26, 2023, 11:52:19 AM3/26/23
to KiCad Developers
Hello there.
I'm building KiCAD 7.0.1 tag under Debian Linux using following command:
cmake -G Ninja -DKICAD_USE_EGL=ON  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../../

running with command:
KICAD_RUN_FROM_BUILD_DIR=1 gdb pcbnew/pcbnew

Questions:
1. I want to break in one PCB tool, eg, length_tuner_tool, but in gdb, i cannot find the symbol with prefix LENGTH_TUNER_TOOL
2. If I want to use wxLogDebug to show logs ( or how to enable DEBUG logging in wx ?)

Thanks for help

Y. HB (sprhawk)

Mar 26, 2023, 12:13:10 PM3/26/23
to KiCad Developers, Y. HB
For Q2, I found I didn't register my tool in pcb_edit_frame.cpp. now it is showing logs.

Y. HB

Mar 26, 2023, 12:40:52 PM3/26/23
to KiCad Developers
Finally, for Q1, I found this old post:
https://www.mail-archive.com/kicad-de...@lists.launchpad.net/msg39655.html

So I just use run command in gdb to run application, then Ctrl-C break
in gdb, then I can find my symbols

Seth Hillbrand

Mar 26, 2023, 1:26:45 PM3/26/23
to KiCad Developers
Looks like you found your answers already but just to check, did you get them both answered?

Seth

Y. HB

Mar 27, 2023, 12:21:28 AM3/27/23
to dev...@kicad.org
Yes I did. Thanks

I was struggling in these for days, but I found the solution in an
hour after I posted questions