7.0.3 stable release update

Wayne Stambaugh

May 14, 2023, 6:05:58 PM5/14/23
to KiCad Developers
Unfortunately, it 7.0.3 is not going to be officially released. A
serious bug was found in the PNS router in the release packages so we
are going to push a 7.0.4 release after some additional testing to make
sure the issue is fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Wayne

Salvador E. Tropea

May 15, 2023, 5:45:26 AM5/15/23
to dev...@kicad.org
Nothing to be sorry, if it needs more work this is the best thing to do.
Just my 2 cents.

Salvador E. Tropea

May 15, 2023, 6:20:33 AM5/15/23
to dev...@kicad.org
BTW: I think we don't have a PPA for "stable nightly". If yes please let
me know. It could be handy to allow more people testing the upcoming
release.

Ian McInerney

May 15, 2023, 6:25:36 AM5/15/23
to dev...@kicad.org
On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 11:20 AM Salvador E. Tropea <str...@inti.gob.ar> wrote:
BTW: I think we don't have a PPA for "stable nightly". If yes please let
me know. It could be handy to allow more people testing the upcoming
release.

We do have an Ubuntu PPA for testing builds: https://launchpad.net/~kicad/+archive/ubuntu/kicad-7.0-nightly, which is listed on the main downloads page: https://www.kicad.org/download/linux/

FYI: the terminology we prefer to use is "testing builds" for builds using the tip of the stable branch and "nightly builds" for builds using the tip of the master branch.

On 15/5/23 06:45, Salvador E. Tropea wrote:
> Nothing to be sorry, if it needs more work this is the best thing to
> do. Just my 2 cents.
>
> On 14/5/23 19:05, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> Unfortunately, it 7.0.3 is not going to be officially released.  A
>> serious bug was found in the PNS router in the release packages so we
>> are going to push a 7.0.4 release after some additional testing to
>> make sure the issue is fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Wayne

Salvador E. Tropea

May 16, 2023, 8:13:27 AM5/16/23
to dev...@kicad.org

Jon Evans

May 16, 2023, 12:43:40 PM5/16/23
to dev...@kicad.org
We would appreciate further user testing of 7.0 testing builds so that we can be confident in a 7.0.4 release soon.

In addition to the Ubuntu PPA that Ian linked, you can grab the latest builds for Windows/Mac here:

-Jon

Christoph Moench-Tegeder

May 16, 2023, 1:17:02 PM5/16/23
to dev...@kicad.org
## Jon Evans (j...@craftyjon.com):

> We would appreciate further user testing of 7.0 testing builds so that we
> can be confident in a 7.0.4 release soon.

Two questions: Are you looking for general issues (affecting all, not
only oficially supported platforms) or is there something specific to
some build chains? And: what was the issue breaking 7.0.3 in the first
place? (maybe I totally missed any details?)

Background: I faced major problems when testing 7.0.3 on FreeBSD, but
the crashes I got were so weird that I initially suspected our (that
is, FreeBSD's) libc++ had gone wonky between 13.1 and 13.2 - but 7.0.2
built on 13.2 works just fine; but I was late with my build due to
work (which is completely unrelated to kicad, but required to pay the
electricity bills ;)) and general life things, so I didn't get around
to report anything (it wouldn't be the first time our tooling totally
mislead me, so I was really suspecting local issues...)

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space

Jon Evans

May 16, 2023, 1:34:24 PM5/16/23
to dev...@kicad.org
> Are you looking for general issues (affecting all, not
only oficially supported platforms) or is there something specific to
some build chains?

General issues.

> what was the issue breaking 7.0.3 in the first place?

Problems with the shove router and ERC that were not noticed before the release.

I don't know what you mean by "major problems" so I can't comment on them without more details.

Christoph Moench-Tegeder

May 16, 2023, 2:57:52 PM5/16/23
to dev...@kicad.org
## Jon Evans (j...@craftyjon.com):

> I don't know what you mean by "major problems" so I can't comment on them
> without more details.

Crashes. Shortest reproducer is this one (schema does not matter, I
believe it's a resistor and an LED):
$ kicad-cli sch export pdf testschema.kicad_sch -o /tmp/f.pdf
20:45:37: Error: Unhandled exception class: St13runtime_error what: Tried to GetAppSettings before registering
Memory fault(coredump)

(That coredump happens deep inside libc++, so maybe that's just an
after-effect of things going wrong much earlier).
Happens on FreeBSD, in 7.0.3 and "7.0 branch git", does not happen in
7.0.2. Does not really make sense, as I can't see any relevant change
in the settings manager or surrounding code (but then I'm really not
that good at seeing all the little details in these frameworked C++
apps, and who knows what's up with our wxgtk); this is also obvious
enough that it should have been reported if it happened on any "official"
platform (eeschema fails like this, too).
If everything else fails, I'll have to bisect (and there I was, talking
about being short on time).

Шварцкоп Александр

May 16, 2023, 4:33:33 PM5/16/23
to dev...@kicad.org
Dear Christoph,

We'll need your KiCad config directory to debug this.

Mark Roszko

May 16, 2023, 5:43:38 PM5/16/23
to dev...@kicad.org
Christoph,

Can you alter the build to use the clang linker flag "-flat_namespace" and see if it works?

Regards,
Mark

Ian McInerney

May 16, 2023, 8:15:40 PM5/16/23
to dev...@kicad.org
Thanks to Steve Falco, we also now have a new testing build repository for Fedora: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/kicad/kicad-testing/, which will provide packages containing the 7.0 branch testing builds (e.g. future 7.0.4 currently). Note that it cannot be installed alongside the stable builds from the Fedora repository or the @kicad/kicad copr.

Christoph Moench-Tegeder

May 17, 2023, 4:38:21 PM5/17/23
to dev...@kicad.org
## Шварцкоп Александр (dudesuc...@gmail.com):

> We'll need your KiCad config directory to debug this.

Jackpot: when I remove sym-lib-table from ~/.config/kicad/7.0/
everything works just fine. (File attached, gzipped, I hope it goes
through). Wouldn't it be great if config loading problems produced an error?
sym-lib-table.gz