.step export for all copper layers

oliver munz

Apr 5, 2024, 2:29:36 PMApr 5
to KiCad Developers
i would like to be able to export all copper layers (not only top and bottom), to import it in a EM-simulator.

it seems to be not to hard to implement, because the top and bottom layers can be exported via an option. my question now is: should we simply add an option "export any copper"? or would it be better to make a layer-list to specify what should be exported?

and then i would like to know, how the export-dialog is made. is there a "dialog-designer" or is it all coded?

thanks

Richard Howlett

Apr 6, 2024, 4:58:17 PMApr 6
to KiCad Developers, munzo...@gmail.com
I would vote for the layer-list

Subaru Arai

Apr 7, 2024, 7:57:35 PMApr 7
to KiCad Developers, dyno...@gmail.com, munzo...@gmail.com
Just for notice, if you want for EM simulation I think we'll also need vias and substrate properties too.
Then again, I'm not too familiar with the process of EM simulation. (what kind of file does it need for input, what are the standard file formats)

I've also heard that above 5ghz the substrate (typically FR-4) weaving (or its direction, inconsistency) itself can be a problem - although I guess that's calculated inside the simulator.
2024年4月7日日曜日 5:58:17 UTC+9 dyno...@gmail.com:

Jon Evans

Apr 7, 2024, 9:27:45 PMApr 7
to dev...@kicad.org
> should we simply add an option "export any copper"? or would it be better to make a layer-list to specify what should be exported?

I think it would catch most use cases to just have a single toggle
between outer layers and all layers.

> how the export-dialog is made. is there a "dialog-designer" or is it all coded

Most dialogs are made with wxFormBuilder.
You can tell when they are made this way when you can find a "base"
dialog with a wxFormBuilder project (fbp file)

In this case, see dialog_export_step_base.fbp

Please see:
https://dev-docs.kicad.org/en/rules-guidelines/ui/

oliver munz

Apr 8, 2024, 7:08:56 AMApr 8
to KiCad Developers, Subaru Arai, dyno...@gmail.com, oliver munz
Yes via must be included. the problem here is, that the holes shoudent. and also the board needs to be exported. and if the board is a sandwich of different materials, it could be interesting to export the dielectric layers as many opjects. but for now i think copper, via's and board should be enough. for the Dk, thats a parameter You normally set in the simulator, when You assign materials to the objects.

oliver munz

Apr 8, 2024, 7:09:24 AMApr 8
to KiCad Developers, j...@craftyjon.com
thanks

oliver munz

Apr 8, 2024, 7:12:58 AMApr 8
to KiCad Developers, Subaru Arai, dyno...@gmail.com, oliver munz
if FR4 isnt good enough then You change to an other material. there is now way to know how the glasfiber will lie in actual PCB. simply use some RF material.

Jones JP

May 22, 2024, 3:06:02 PMMay 22
to KiCad Developers, munzo...@gmail.com, Subaru Arai, dyno...@gmail.com
Hi Munzo, I am interested in which EM simulator you're trying to use. Are you trying to do signal integrity simulations? I hope you can help me get started if you're already into it...