Cad style dimentions for footprints

Filip Pešula

Apr 13, 2023, 9:41:15 AM4/13/23
to KiCad Developers
I was thinking of Implementing Cad style dimensions and constraints for creating footprints, would it be a helpful feature?

Mark Roszko

Apr 13, 2023, 6:27:05 PM4/13/23
to dev...@kicad.org
https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/2324
https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/2329

It'll require a proposal on file format changes to store those
constraints and overall behavior.
But I don't think anyone would be against it

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 9:41 AM Filip Pešula <filip....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking of Implementing Cad style dimensions and constraints for creating footprints, would it be a helpful feature?

Mark

Filip Pešula

Apr 13, 2023, 7:12:05 PM4/13/23
to KiCad Developers, mark....@gmail.com
I was thinking more of leaving the constraints separated since they are not important for the footprint user and all the pads and features have UUID as I understand, so it would be quite easily linkable.

Filip

Tomasz Wlostowski

Apr 14, 2023, 2:04:50 PM4/14/23
to dev...@kicad.org, filip....@gmail.com
Hi Filip,

Thanks for your interest in contributing to KiCad.

Have a look at this branch, a looooong time ago I started writing a constraint solver (arcs + lines + linear dimensions) for pcbnew, but never had the time to finish it.

https://github.com/twlostow/kicad-dev/tree/tom-outline-edit-fosdem2020

As this stuff requires changing the file format, I advise to first create a brief specification in gitlab/gdocs/similar site and discussing it with the lead dev team.

Best,
Tom