Bookscanner Project

1 view

Chloe Adeline

Sep 22, 2010, 2:00:15 AM9/22/10
to Jigsaw Mailing List
We're going to build a bookscanner for Jigsaw!!

WHAT? A bookscanner quickly scans books at high quality to your
computer without damaging the book and outputs a pdf, djvu, jpgs,
whatever. Then you can read them on your ebook reader or computer,
share them with friends or the internets, etc.

WHY? To be AWESOME! Because Strand got it in his head that this would
be a good idea, and then Chloe was like "Hell Yeah!" To save old texts
from being lost. To make rare texts accessible and free to anyone with
the internets. To save money on expensive college textbooks. To
quickly scan your scrapbooks and photo albums. Personally, I'm
interested in digitizing my collection of shorthand books and
magazines from the 1890s-1930s that are expensive and hard to come by
and uploading them as nostalgia-fodder for the internet's stenography
community.

WHEN? Initial meeting this Sun the 26th of Sept at 2pm. We'll have
more meetings and work parties, but this will allow us to set down
plans for how we'll do this.

WHO? Anybody! A bookscanner project involves software, woodworking,
building, hardware hacking, a little money, possibly metalwork,
excitement, etc, etc. This is a group project—if you're interested,
show up—we can use you!!

WHERE? Jigsaw.

If you'd like to be involved, you can educate yourself about
bookscanners by visiting http://diybookscanner.org/ and reading
through their forums. There are many options and ways we could go
about doing this, and the more people who bring ideas about what
they'd like to see, the more exciting this can be!

At a minimum I'd glance over the images and the pdf on that page
called "the Instructable that brought our community together." Also
check out http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=375
and http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=280 for
inspiration!

Let me know if you have any questions, etc.
] chloe [

----
www.simplerabbit.com
the cutest simplicity.
in the world.
ever.

Gabriel Licina

Sep 22, 2010, 12:15:19 PM9/22/10
to dav...@jigsawrenaissance.org
i am very excited about this!

-g-

This list is for project / event proposal and general Jigsaw announcements. Small updates and general chatter should be posted to Yammer (https://www.yammer.com/). Detailed project planning and discussion should be held on OpenAtrium (http://bucketb.com/work/jigsaw/).

dav...@jigsawrenaissance.org
http://groups.google.com/a/jigsawrenaissance.org/group/davinci