could jepsen test asynchronous remote database with sharding?

HA db tester

Aug 8, 2019, 11:41:04 AM8/8/19
to Jepsen Talk
Our database is having a sharded/share nothing archtecture.

the primary site contains multiple shards,  each shard has a remote async standby.

If primary site goes down, we need to promote the remote async shards to be the new primary.

So we need to find a common consistent point for all remote async shards to agree up on, before open readview.

Does jepsen has a setup to test that?  i would like to check things like remote  2PC  transactions handled properly.

For example,  a  2PC  has all its redo log persisted at remote standby up to  PREPARE.  And one of the remote shard receives a COMMIT.  Then i can verify the remote standby could help me to commit this 2PC automatically. etc.

Kyle Kingsbury

Aug 8, 2019, 11:51:30 AM8/8/19
to ta...@jepsen.io
On 8/8/19 11:41 AM, HA db tester wrote:
> Our database is having a sharded/share nothing archtecture.
>
> the primary site contains multiple shards,  each shard has a remote async standby.
>
> If primary site goes down, we need to promote the remote async shards to be
> the new primary.
>
> So we need to find a common consistent point for all remote async shards to
> agree up on, before open readview.
>
> Does jepsen has a setup to test that?  i would like to check things like
> remote  2PC  transactions handled properly.

Yes, Jepsen was designed specifically to test distributed, shared-nothing,
sharded databases.

--Kyle