Invitation for Conference on Challenges before Civil Liberties movement

Delhi PUCL

Jun 2, 2024, 9:46:42 PMJun 2
to nilofars...@hotmail.com, dial...@janvikalp.org

Dated: 31 May 2024

Dear Friends

PUCL as you are aware is a premier civil liberties organization of India which has been active since 1976 and has been taking up issues for the protection and promotion of civil liberties. It was established by Late Shri Jay Prakash Narayan and Late Justice V.M. Tarkunde when ‘emergency’ was existing in the country and basic freedoms had been taken away. PUCL has continued its work even thereafter and is a vibrant, effective organization. It has also filed various PIL’s which have resulted in some exemplary judgments.

Presently election fever is going on in the country and the results will be announced on 4th June 24. Which so ever Government is voted to power, the basic struggle for promotion of civil liberties will have to continue even though the focus area may undergo a change. Our experience tells us that no government is willing to concede civil liberties to people till the time the people press for the same.

The past years have witnessed increased repression, more repressive laws, further erosion of the independence of Independent Institutions, assaults on minorities and the induction of vigilante groups for repression of minorities etc. The role of Election Commission in conducting free and fair elections is questionable.

Therefore, it is time for Civil Liberties activists and various organisations representing different sections of society to come together, try to chalk out strategy for coordinated and joint functioning, so that issues relating to civil liberties can be effectively taken up.

With this Idea in mind PUCL Delhi is organizing a one-day conference on 13th July 2024 on “Challenges before Civil Liberties movement in India and the role of civil liberties activists”. The basic purpose behind this conference is to bring together the various organizations, activists and stakeholders working on Civil Liberties, Human Rights, Workers Organizations, Women Organizations, Journalist Organizations, Dalit organizations and other Civil Society organizations to chalk out a strategy for coordinated and joint functioning, so that issues relating to civil liberties can be effectively taken up.

The conference is of activists of National Capital Region of Delhi, and we are expecting good participationThe tentative agenda for the conference is enclosed herewith.

We cordially invite you and your organization to participate in the conference and give your valuable inputs. In case you would like to present a paper on any of the topics you are welcome to do so. If you would send us the paper in advance, we will circulate it amongst the participants. In case you desire that there should be a speaker from your organization in any of the sessions please inform us in advance so that we can accommodate him/her in the session of your choice. In case you have any suggestion regarding the agenda we are ready and willing to consider the same.

We look forward to hearing from you. An early confirmation will be very helpful.

Yours

N D Pancholi                                  T.S.Ahuja                                  Ashok Bharti

President                                        General Secretary,                   Organising Secretary

PUCL, Delhi                                   PUCL, Delhi                              PUCL, Delhi

(M) 9811099532                             (M)  9811586723                       (M) 8826266074

Tentative Agenda

Plenary            10 AM to 11 AM

Working Session: 11 AM to 1.00PM

Discussion and assessment of current political situation (in context of civil liberties}

Lunch: 1.00 to 2.00 PM

2.00 to 4.00 PM

Challenges before the Civil Liberties movement and our priorities

4.00 to 6.00 PM

Strategies to meet the challenges and formation of action plan.

6.00 to 6.30 PM

Valedictory address