Meeting of TM group in Rapperswil?

Jens Maurer

Jun 16, 2014, 5:05:09 PM6/16/14
to t...@isocpp.org
Hi Michael Wong (and others)!

I haven't yet understood our options for specifying Chandler-compatible
semantics for transactions ("only synchronize if shared memory locations
are accessed"), and what the drawbacks are.

Is there going to be a meeting of the TM group to explore the
options?

(We'd probably need Hans.)

Jens

Hans Boehm

Jun 17, 2014, 5:04:17 AM6/17/14
to t...@isocpp.org
An evening later in the week?  SG1 (Concurrency) seems to have its work cut out for it ...

Hans

Jens

Michael Wong

Jun 17, 2014, 5:43:27 AM6/17/14
to t...@isocpp.org
I don't mind having a meeting to also synchronize progress. But with only the 4 of us (including Torvald) here, I don't know if we can make a lot of progress on this. We have been discussing this in the last few meetings and our temporary state is that we have not yet come to a conclusion yet on the four choices mentioned by Tatiana in the last meeting. If we do come to change the current proposal because of this, then this will be submitted as a change to the TS Working Draft. We would need more time for the entire group to consider these choices. Given that this week has most evening taken up, I am uncertain when we can meet other then Wednesday.

Do you , Torvald and/or Hans have a preference given this status?

Torvald Riegel

Jun 17, 2014, 11:44:37 AM6/17/14
to t...@isocpp.org
On Tue, 2014-06-17 at 05:43 -0400, Michael Wong wrote:
> I don't mind having a meeting to also synchronize progress. But with only
> the 4 of us (including Torvald) here, I don't know if we can make a lot of
> progress on this. We have been discussing this in the last few meetings and
> our temporary state is that we have not yet come to a conclusion yet on the
> four choices mentioned by Tatiana in the last meeting. If we do come to
> change the current proposal because of this, then this will be submitted as
> a change to the TS Working Draft. We would need more time for the entire
> group to consider these choices. Given that this week has most evening
> taken up, I am uncertain when we can meet other then Wednesday.
>
> Do you , Torvald and/or Hans have a preference given this status?

I'm not sure it would be really productive. Meeting F2F can help, but
then we also need to find a time slot, and the topic is complex, so we
need to have non-tired brains. And we'd have to rehash the discussion
later on and discuss again with the full group. Thus, not sure we'll
find enough time... We could reevaluate the situation on Friday
perhaps?

Jens Maurer

Jun 17, 2014, 12:38:09 PM6/17/14
to t...@isocpp.org