Re: Run-Time Concepts

Bryce Glover

Mar 7, 2016, 5:25:17 PM3/7/16
to conc...@isocpp.org, sg...@isocpp.org, refle...@isocpp.org
Andy Prowl <andy....@gmail.com>: Feb 23 10:33PM +0100

The file is truncated because it is (or more precisely, it was) a work in progress. Pages beyond 71 only contain notes, pictures, placeholders, and pieces of text which I didn’t tidy up yet :)

Is your proposal available in the pre-Jacksonville mailing or slated to be part of a future mailing?  I would like to take a look at it, notes, examples, and all, even though I’m really only just a casual observer here on the forums.

— Bryce Glover

Andy Prowl

Mar 8, 2016, 7:19:41 AM3/8/16
to SG8 - Concepts, sg...@isocpp.org, refle...@isocpp.org
My draft is not a proposal yet. Perhaps at some point it will become one (I'm trying to find some time to work on it), but definitely not targeting C++17. I have this idea of submitting a talk to CppCon about them, to raise interest and possibly gain support - especially help with implementation. Haven't made my mind up yet, and I would need some more material and thoughts.

If you're interested, there is a github repo where I keep the latest version of the draft together with the code examples that use the libraries from Section 2.

https://github.com/andyprowl/virtual-concepts

Andy

Michael Wong

Mar 10, 2016, 1:42:52 PM3/10/16
to SG14 - Game Dev and Low Latency, conc...@isocpp.org, refle...@isocpp.org, andy....@gmail.com
Thanks, I just finished going through this thread. This looks very interesting. I wanted to ask if anyone is looking to continue investing time to develop the proposal. What is there, up to pg 71 seems quite elaborate and should be presented.

I don't think any of you are at SG14's GDC meeting next Monday. But I would encourage more work on this.

Andrew Sutton

Mar 10, 2016, 1:46:28 PM3/10/16
to conc...@isocpp.org, SG14 - Game Dev and Low Latency, refle...@isocpp.org, Andy Prowl
> Thanks, I just finished going through this thread. This looks very
> interesting. I wanted to ask if anyone is looking to continue investing time
> to develop the proposal. What is there, up to pg 71 seems quite elaborate
> and should be presented.
>
> I don't think any of you are at SG14's GDC meeting next Monday. But I would
> encourage more work on this.

I would love to contribute to this work but... uh... I may be busy
with some other concepts-related work :)

Andrew

Andy Prowl

Mar 11, 2016, 5:40:47 AM3/11/16
to Patrice Roy, sg...@isocpp.org, refle...@isocpp.org, conc...@isocpp.org
Two things.

1) There is an old thread about this on std-proposals, which recently raised some new interest:

2) I'm trying to invest some more time on this. Here is a link to the latest version of the draft, including a few more pages:

https://github.com/andyprowl/virtual-concepts/raw/master/draft/Dynamic%20Generic%20Programming%20with%20Virtual%20Concepts.pdf

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Patrice Roy <patr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please do; I, for one, am curious. Cheers!

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:42 PM, Michael Wong <fragga...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, I just finished going through this thread. This looks very interesting. I wanted to ask if anyone is looking to continue investing time to develop the proposal. What is there, up to pg 71 seems quite elaborate and should be presented.

I don't think any of you are at SG14's GDC meeting next Monday. But I would encourage more work on this.

I have something that's pretty far along too, but I haven't shown anyone but Andy and Andrew.  If there's interest, I can forward it along.

Zach

Andy Prowl

Mar 11, 2016, 5:44:30 AM3/11/16
to SG8 - Concepts, sg...@isocpp.org, refle...@isocpp.org
I am not sure what is the best way to present this work. It is unfinished, and not backed by any implementation, so for the moment I wouldn't go to the Committee with this. Perhaps a talk would be a good start.

Two things.

1) There is an old thread about this on std-proposals, which recently raised some new interest:

2) I'm trying to invest some more time on it. Here is a link to the latest version of the draft, including a few more pages:

https://github.com/andyprowl/virtual-concepts/raw/master/draft/Dynamic%20Generic%20Programming%20with%20Virtual%20Concepts.pdf

Bryce Glover

Mar 14, 2016, 5:29:32 PM3/14/16
to conc...@isocpp.org, refle...@isocpp.org, sg...@isocpp.org
Andy Prowl <andy....@gmail.com>: Mar 08 04:19AM -0800

My draft is not a proposal yet. Perhaps at some point it will become one (I'm trying to find some time to work on it), but definitely not targeting C++17. I have this idea of submitting a talk to CppCon about them, to raise interest and possibly gain support - especially help with implementation.  Haven't made my mind up yet, and I would need some more material and
thoughts.

If you're interested, there is a github repo where I keep the latest version of the draft together with the code examples that use the libraries from Section 2.

https://github.com/andyprowl/virtual-concepts

Andy

Thanks a lot, Andy!  I’ve actually taken a look at it already, and what I’ve seen looks pretty good so far aside from a handful of non-critical editorial issues and stylistic quibbles that I may try and find the time to fix for you even though I’m only a novice programmer and forum lurker.
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Michael Wong <fragga...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 10:42AM -0800

Thanks, I just finished going through this thread. This looks very interesting. I wanted to ask if anyone is looking to continue investing time to develop the proposal. What is there, up to pg 71 seems quite elaborate and should be presented.

It’s good to hear that somebody with more experience in working with the committee shares an opinion with little old me!

I don't think any of you are at SG14's GDC meeting next Monday. But I would
encourage more work on this.

Wonderful!  I look forward to seeing what progress you guys can make on this front.
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Zach Laine <whatwasth...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 12:59PM -0600

I have something that’s pretty far along too, but I haven't shown anyone but Andy and Andrew. If there's interest, I can forward it along.

Zach

Patrice Roy <patr...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 02:29PM -0500

Please do; I, for one, am curious. Cheers!

Seconded!
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Andy Prowl <andy....@gmail.com>: Mar 11 11:40AM +0100

Two things.

1) There is an old thread about this on std-proposals, which recently raised some new interest:

https://groups.google.com/a/isocpp.org/forum/#!topic/std-proposals/4gEt2OBbSQM

Thanks for the link!

2) I'm trying to invest some more time on this. Here is a link to the latest version of the draft, including a few more pages:

https://github.com/andyprowl/virtual-concepts/raw/master/draft/Dynamic%20Generic%20Programming%20with%20Virtual%20Concepts.pdf

Just one quick question:  where in the document did you add those pages?  It’s not exactly obvious from skimming the table of contents, and they didn’t appear to be at the end at first glance, either.
Andy Prowl <andy....@gmail.com>: Mar 11 02:44AM -0800

I am not sure what is the best way to present this work. It is unfinished, and not backed by any implementation, so for the moment I wouldn't go to the Committee with this. Perhaps a talk would be a good start.

Either that and/or you might consider a short series of blog posts detailing the feature and referencing the incomplete paper and a talk if you give one sounds like a good idea to me.

Regards,
     Bryce Glover