Resources for proposals

torto...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2017, 4:59:25 AM8/15/17
to ISO C++ Standard - Future Proposals
Beyond the advice given here:

  https://isocpp.org/std/submit-a-proposal
  http://open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3370.html

1 It is often useful to survey existing implementations.
2 It is also useful to know which platforms should be considered to get to a proposal with reasonable coverage.

Obviously the committee and community will add wider feedback beyond that but a jump start could be helpful.

Closed source implementations obviously must be left to committee members representing their particular
vendors and user-base but there may still be useful resources online.

Could we collect together a set of resources along those lines and add it to isocpp.org and/or cppreference.com?

Starting with the obvious...

Which OS platforms do we need to consider 1st? - (thinking of something like filesystem ts for example)
(recognising that all OS's should be supportable in principle)

  Posix:
    Linux
    BSD
  Windows
  what else?

Which compiler implementations:

  gcc
  clang
  what else is widely used and open source?

Which standard library implementations?

  gcc     libstdc++
  clang  cxx.llvm
  are the headers for VC++ collected online with the C++ redistributable?

- https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29070852/how-can-i-find-implementations-of-the-c-standard-library

Bryce Glover

Aug 15, 2017, 8:24:13 PM8/15/17
to torto...@gmail.com, std-pr...@isocpp.org
     I’d add macOS (previously OS X, and Mac OS X before that) to the list even though you could technically treat it as a BSD due to where it got a lot of its userland bits from despite its kernel, XNU, really being a hybrid of Mach and BSD with some custom stuff from NeXT prior to Apple’s acquisition of it (as well as Apple itself,) but it’d probably be best to treat/include it separately due to its quirky lineage.

Regards,
     Bryce Glover

torto...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2017, 4:31:07 AM8/21/17
to ISO C++ Standard - Future Proposals, torto...@gmail.com

What I was really hoping for was a list of urls pointing to browsable and/or downloadable header files and documentation.

The more I look into this the trickier I am finding it to find implementations that are both open source (even if the license is proprietary) and widely used outside of gcc and clang.
This pool is far from wide enough to be considered a thorough survey of existing implementations.

Several proprietary compilers have time limited trial versions. A few have gone beyond this with "open source contributor editions" but you still have to obtain licenses in some cases
and install them to get anywhere.

I wonder if a library of docker images (with the permission of the proprietary implementation owners) might be a possible way forward?