Minor Proposals to Gabriel dos Reis' Modules

HarD Gamer

Sep 12, 2016, 6:03:59 PM9/12/16
to ISO C++ Standard - Future Proposals
Hello dear C++ Community,

I have wrote minor proposals to Gabriel dos Reis' Modules.
The paper is attached.
index.pdf

Richard Smith

Sep 12, 2016, 7:32:07 PM9/12/16
to std-pr...@isocpp.org
Point 1: Reserving all modules starting "std." for the standard library seems reasonable. I don't think we need to say any more than that here; how the implementation maps that into actual filesystem paths (if it even does that at all) is likely outside the scope of what we want to specify in the Modules TS.

Point 2 (the first one): p0273r0 proposed "module implementation Foo;" as the syntax for introducing a module implementation unit (not "module partition" as you quote). That change has already been considered by EWG and was received favourably.

Point 2 (the second one): It seems reasonable to me that a function named 'main' that is not owned by the global module would not be the main function, in the same way that a function named 'main' defined in a namespace or class scope is not the main function. It would be useful for the Modules TS to clarify that, though.

HarD Gamer

Sep 19, 2016, 6:47:07 PM9/19/16
to ISO C++ Standard - Future Proposals

I have forgot a important thing, multiple module inclusion with a single line.
It's better than:

module containers;

export {
    import std.vector;
    import std.list;
    // ...
}

PS..: Se on the attached image that feels good for qt projects.