LaTeX style for C++ proposals

Ronan Keryell

May 19, 2016, 5:55:31 AM5/19/16
to std-pr...@isocpp.org
Hello!

Since it is time again for our seasonal homework, I was wondering if there is a LaTeX style to write draft proposals.

I found a discussion on this in 2014
https://groups.google.com/a/isocpp.org/forum/#!topic/std-proposals/rniRAPHpjLE
but I do not know if there is something new with some convergence.

Thank you,
--
Ronan Keryell, Xilinx Research Labs / Ireland.

Vicente J. Botet Escriba

May 19, 2016, 6:05:20 AM5/19/16
to std-pr...@isocpp.org
Le 19/05/2016 à 11:55, Ronan Keryell a écrit :
> Hello!
>
> Since it is time again for our seasonal homework, I was wondering if there is a LaTeX style to write draft proposals.
>
> I found a discussion on this in 2014
> https://groups.google.com/a/isocpp.org/forum/#!topic/std-proposals/rniRAPHpjLE
> but I do not know if there is something new with some convergence.

Hi,

Not that I'm aware of.

I believe that the Latex style could be based on the current c++
standard draft style [1].

I would appreciate a concrete proposal for this Latex style.

Vicente

[1] https://github.com/cplusplus/draft

Ville Voutilainen

May 19, 2016, 6:05:57 AM5/19/16
to ISO C++ Standard - Future Proposals
On 19 May 2016 at 13:05, Vicente J. Botet Escriba
I use html for my proposals, based on this
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3325.html

Daniel Krügler

May 19, 2016, 9:02:01 AM5/19/16
to std-pr...@isocpp.org
> Hello!
>
> Since it is time again for our seasonal homework, I was wondering if there is a LaTeX style to write draft proposals.

I'm not sure in which direction your question is going, but please
note that accepted proposal formats must be one of html, pdf, or plain
text.

Please read

https://isocpp.org/std/submit-a-proposal

and if you have further open questions, please contact the lwgchair
address (as provided here:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/lwg-active.html)

Thanks,

- Daniel

Francis (Grizzly) Smit

May 19, 2016, 9:38:13 AM5/19/16
to std-pr...@isocpp.org
just use pdflatex to render as pdf, or dvi2html  or htla­tex  to get html, the question is only how to get the LaTeX right to generate compliant pdf and or html

--
   .~.     In my life God comes first....
   /V\         but Linux is pretty high after that :-D

Daniel Krügler

May 19, 2016, 9:41:45 AM5/19/16
to std-pr...@isocpp.org

> just use pdflatex to render as pdf, or dvi2html or htla­tex to get html,
> the question is only how to get the LaTeX right to generate compliant pdf
> and or html

I'm aware of these possibilities, but that was not the question asked.

- Daniel

Matthew Woehlke

May 19, 2016, 2:02:12 PM5/19/16
to std-pr...@isocpp.org
On 2016-05-19 05:55, Ronan Keryell wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Since it is time again for our seasonal homework, I was wondering if there is a LaTeX style to write draft proposals.
>
> I found a discussion on this in 2014
> https://groups.google.com/a/isocpp.org/forum/#!topic/std-proposals/rniRAPHpjLE
> but I do not know if there is something new with some convergence.

There is no "blessed" style for proposals, nor is there any standard for
"conforming" HTML¹; different authors' papers frequently look different.

(¹ Aside from the HTML specification itself, of course.)

Personally, I prefer using reST to write my proposals and HTML for final
output. Outputting HTML allows readers to resize or even restyle the
text and read it at a comfortable width, rather than forcing a
particular layout on them. It's also more conducive to being read inline
when publishing drafts via e-mail, which can be a major point for some
people.

(And I prefer reST over markdown because the latter is more featureful.
It's just about worth it for the `contents` directive alone...)

If you're interested in trying out reST → HTML (requires
python-docutils) for proposal writing, you can check out my proposals at
https://github.com/mwoehlke/cpp-proposals.

--
Matthew

Marc Mutz

Jun 22, 2016, 6:01:31 AM6/22/16
to std-pr...@isocpp.org, Ronan Keryell
On Thursday 19 May 2016 11:55:25 Ronan Keryell wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Since it is time again for our seasonal homework, I was wondering if there
> is a LaTeX style to write draft proposals.
>
> I found a discussion on this in 2014
> https://groups.google.com/a/isocpp.org/forum/#!topic/std-proposals/rniRAPHp
> jLE but I do not know if there is something new with some convergence.

If you look around, you will find many authors that use LaTeX, e.g. Eric
Niebler. What is missing is for one of them to put an explicit license on
their style/macros, so others can actually use them.

Thanks,
Marc

--
Marc Mutz <marc...@kdab.com> | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: +49-30-521325470

Jonathan Coe

Jun 22, 2016, 10:44:18 AM6/22/16
to std-pr...@isocpp.org
I use markdown and pandoc with reasonable success. It's easier than LaTeX or HTML.

Jon