How does attending a Committee meeting work?

Myriachan

Jun 5, 2017, 3:16:48 PM6/5/17
to ISO C++ Standard - Discussion
Sorry if I didn't send this to the correct list.

I submitted a proposal for C++ ([[unreachable]]) and was wondering how "championing" a proposal works.  I don't understand much about the process, so these are very much newbie questions.

1. How do I attend at all?  I didn't see a place to register, nor a deadline for registration.

2. When and where would my proposal be discussed?  Also, it seems that proposals aren't always discussed at these meetings.

3. When does the final draft of my proposal need to be submitted?  I also don't know the process of submitting a revision.

This is all so confusing to me, sorry.

Melissa

Ville Voutilainen

Jun 5, 2017, 3:23:26 PM6/5/17
to std-dis...@isocpp.org
On 5 June 2017 at 22:16, Myriachan <myri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry if I didn't send this to the correct list.
>
> I submitted a proposal for C++ ([[unreachable]]) and was wondering how
> "championing" a proposal works. I don't understand much about the process,
> so these are very much newbie questions.
>
> 1. How do I attend at all? I didn't see a place to register, nor a deadline
> for registration.

Come to a meeting. It's polite to tell the convener (Herb Sutter) or
an evolutionary group
chair (me or Jeffrey Yasskin) that you're going to be there, but that
isn't required to happen
prior to showing up.

> 2. When and where would my proposal be discussed? Also, it seems that
> proposals aren't always discussed at these meetings.

Depends on the proposal and what other proposals are in the pipeline,
and respective
priorities thereof. If my guesstimate of your likely interest areas
and probable paper topics is correct, either
the UB Study Group (SG12) or Evolution is the likely group.

> 3. When does the final draft of my proposal need to be submitted? I also
> don't know the process of submitting a revision.

The pre-meeting deadline is June 19th. Submitting a revision is just
sending a new paper to the same
person you sent an initial one to, with an updated R-part of the paper number.

> This is all so confusing to me, sorry.

It's perhaps much simpler than it appears, once you get a bit used to it.

Howard Hinnant

Jun 5, 2017, 3:25:49 PM6/5/17
to ISO C++ Standard - Discussion
See https://isocpp.org/std/meetings-and-participation/

Anything this doesn’t answer, or even if it does and you still have questions, please feel free to contact me privately with questions.

The pre-Toronto mailing deadline is coming up quick: 2017-06-19 14:00:00 UTC.

Howard

signature.asc

Patrice Roy

Jun 9, 2017, 3:40:34 PM6/9/17
to std-dis...@isocpp.org
Myrichan : you're welcome to come to Toronto, but if you can't, as we already discussed, I'll gladly champion that one. It's better if you're there yourself, but the proposal will be presented by someone.

Cheers!

--

---