The Science Behind Music Technology: An animated story

Simon Dixon

Sep 8, 2021, 11:16:50 AM9/8/21
to community

Hi to the ISMIR Community!

Have you ever had trouble explaining what MIR is to your mum, your uncle, your partner or your kids?    Wouldn't it be cool if there was a short video that explained (in simple terms) what MIR is all about?    Well, here it is!

As part of the outreach of the MIP-Frontiers* project (https://mip-frontiers.eu/), we have produced a 3-minute animated video:

    The Science Behind Music Technology: An animated story   -    https://youtu.be/YgYV-7-ohxQ

Big thanks to all the MIP-Frontiers team, especially:

  • Giorgia Cantisani (Telecom Paris) for taking the lead on this project
  • the musicians: Diego Di Carlo, the band Mandela, and sound engineer Alberto Di Carlo

... and apologies if we didn't manage to reference your favourite branch of MIR research -  there's only so much that can fit in 3 minutes.  But it is worth watching a few times - you might be surprised how many different aspects we did manage to squeeze in.

Hope you all had a great summer, and I look forward to seeing everyone (virtually) at ISMIR in November,

Simon Dixon

*  This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No. 765068

--
Simon Dixon
Centre for Digital Music